Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Advice for rolling out social software

• 1.  Advice for rolling out social software

Posted Jan 29, 2016 17:40
    Edited by Rebecca Lahr Feb 05, 2016 11:47

Hello,

I'm quite new to the community forum but am interested in reaching out to see if there are any people on here who have had experience with rolling out a social / collaborative software such as Yammer, Chatter, etc. within a non-profit. It seems that the process will be quite different than for instance, a CRM where the main reason for use is data storage/retrieval rather than communication.

What did your organization do? Which software did you choose? What were some of the successes or stumbles you encountered? How did you encourage interaction within the software space? I know that in the business world they encourage gamification as a strategy for encouraging use, but I am hesitant to think that translates well into the non-profit setting.

I am currently a graduate student working with a non-profit to assist them with their plan to utilize SAP Jam, which is another social collaborative software tool. They are ready to start creating a plan for implementing the software in their organization of ~230 employees across 17 different locations and roaming throughout the city. They have no plan right now, but they do have a staff that is a bit jaded from a hasty software rollout that just took place.

Any insight you would like to share is helpful! Thank you!

------------------------------
    Rebecca Lahr
    Graduate student
    UBC Vancouver

picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Advice for rolling out social software

Posted Feb 17, 2016 14:57

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome!

I'll ping some folks who I think might have advice, and hopefully others will give suggestions in the meantime.

I was just chatting with a few community members about Slack. Getting everyone on staff to use it and to use it correctly was not too much different from a larger project as far as I could tell. Communication and training are key. Here's a recent article NTEN published about communication for tech rollout: http://www.nten.org/article/when-and-how-to-communicate-a-technology-rollout-plan/. Perhaps it will be helpful.

Best of luck!

Bethany Lister
    Community Program Manager
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    bethany@nten.org

• 3.  RE: Advice for rolling out social software

Posted Feb 18, 2016 11:37

Rebecca,

I have used various management systems with group ranging from 60 - 300.  I am currently a BIG fan of ASANA and SLACK in combination with shared drives. They both sync with google, box and dropbox. Asana takes a little time to 'spool in' as it has depth (not just a list maker).  It can, sometimes become a  replacement for SLACK as you can have conversations about tasks within the project (one of my favorite aspects).  Both are exceptionally good for working with clients/ teams who are NOT local.   I also use realtimeboard for brainstorming / strategy planning across time/space. 

Most of my work has asynchronous needs, so I would recommend those (and there are others) without reservation.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would say that implementing a new software in timid environment can be hard.  The key, I found, was showing how it benefits them (saves time and clarifies communication). I would definitely only try one at a time.  If you need project management (ASANA) or if you need better communication/fewer emails (SLACK).

Best,

Brett

Brett Crawford
    Executive Director/Assistant Teaching Professor
    Arts Management and Technology Lab/Carnegie Mellon University
    Pittsburgh PA

• 4.  RE: Advice for rolling out social software

Posted Feb 18, 2016 11:48
    I'm so glad Brett chimed in! I chatted with her last week about how she rolled out and uses Slack with her teams. It was super helpful.

Thanks, Brett!

--
    Bethany Lister
    Community Program Manager
    NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
    http://nten.org | @NTENorg
    503-272-8733

It takes a community to raise a nonprofit! Participate in the 2016 NTEN Community Challenge and help us raise $25,000 and support nonprofits using technology to fulfill their missions.

• 5.  RE: Advice for rolling out social software

Posted Feb 22, 2016 12:41

Thank you Brett and Bethany for your advice, both on software options and on strategies for implementing it. Bethany the article you linked will definitely be applicable to social software, so I appreciate you sharing that.

-Rebecca

Rebecca Lahr
    MLIS Candidate
    University of British Columbia