Discuss

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Managing Conference Speaker Process

• 1.  Managing Conference Speaker Process

Posted Aug 11, 2016 14:09
    Edited by Jayne Dutra Jun 29, 2017 19:45

Hello All,

I'm not 100% sure this is the right forum for this question, but I'm know that Bethany will point me to the correct one if it isn't. Here's my question:

I'm volunteering for a group who is putting on a conference next spring. I'm the Chair of the Content committee and I'd like suggestions for (free or extremely low cost) programs to manage speaker proposals, and gather the presentations and speaker head shots once program selections are made.  

I see that NTEN is asking their members to vote on sessions for their next conference. I don't think we're that sophisticated yet, but it's something to shoot for in the future, so would love to learn more about which software is being used. 

Right now, I'm using Google Forms, which isn't bad since the responses are directed into a spreadsheet for collection. However, sadly, Google Forms doesn't allow a respondent to upload a file, so no outlines, presentations or head shots can be gathered that way. 

Open to all suggestions! Thanks everyone!

Jayne 

Women's Leadership Conference in Ashland Oregon 

------------------------------
    Jayne Dutra
    Consultant
    Information Management for the Arts
    Medford, OR

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Managing Conference Speaker Process

STAFF
    Posted Aug 12, 2016 20:18

Jayne,

I will leave it to Bethany to let us know if this belongs somewhere else but I see your questions either way :-) Happy to jump on a call and talk through this to see what I can do to help you out. Track me down at ash@nten.org or even just find a time and get it on our calendars if easier (https://calendly.com/ash_shepherd).

Also dropping a few things here for the sake of public learning.

If just looking to collect information for internal review at this stage in your process I would suggest just stepping up your form for collecting so you can included uploaded files.

• Simple "secret" form on your website if you can do that
    • Other survey tools beyond just free survey monkey (no file upload) Fluid Survey, Survey Gizmo, Wufoo, Formstack
    • Haven't used it and not sure of pricing but Survey Monkey also another product for this thing exactly: Fluid review

If your needs are different then let me know and I can share some other suggestions here as well.

For public voting/review there are a few other platforms but they typically don't fall into the free range.

Best,
    Ash

Ash Shepherd
    Education Director
    Nonprofit Technology Network
    ash@nten.org

• 3.  RE: Managing Conference Speaker Process

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:02

Thanks, Ash, and sorry to be a little slow in responding. 

At this stage, I am looking for a way for the speakers to upload an abstract and perhaps a headshot.

Is there somewhere online or in the Google Forms manual/chat boards I can find info on how to set up the "secret form"? I looked through the add-ons list, but maybe I missed something? 

Thanks again! 

Jayne

Jayne Dutra
    Consultant
    Information Management for the Arts
    Medford, OR

• 4.  RE: Managing Conference Speaker Process

Posted Aug 16, 2016 12:21
    Ash mentioned Wufoo in his post: I just recently experimented with that service so I could add an anonymous reporting form to NTEN's updated Code of Conduct. I see that you can create forms with file uploads for a small monthly fee.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Jayne Dutra via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

--
    Bethany Lister
    Community Program Manager
    NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network
    http://nten.org | @NTENorg
    503-272-8733

Take the 2016 Technology Staffing and Investments Survey for a chance to win a $500 VISA gift card! Your insights will help us provide benchmarks and qualitative data about technology decisions for the nonprofit sector.