Discuss

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Introductions and favorite PM topics

Thread closed by the administrator. It is viewable, but not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 03, 2016 11:44
    No replies, thread closed.

Hi Everyone - 

I wanted to start a new thread for PM community introductions. It would be great to hear from you so we can learn a bit more about each other and how we can support one another. Let's start with:

1. Name

2. Where you work/what you do

3. Favorite PM-related topic

4. Recent PM-related win.

I'll start:

1. Erin Fogel

2. I work at DevCollaborative where we build Drupal websites for nonprofits

3. Tools, tools, tools. 

4. I'd say every day that I move a project closer to completion is a win, even when it's just baby steps. 

------------------------------
    Erin Fogel
    Director of Project Strategy
    DevCollaborative
    Winchester, MA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 04, 2016 10:41
    Edited by Maria Sterck Jun 29, 2017 19:45

Thanks Erin!  Really looking forward to hearing from other members of the PM Community!  Here's my information:

1. Maria Sterck

2. Mission Matters Group / Responsible for PMO, HR and Product Development (Got to love startups!!!)

3. The many flavors of Agile Development and how to make them work for different organizations

4. HUGE Salesforce Implementation for a great organization that truly impacts Global Environmental Change! 

Maria Sterck
    Director, Technology Services
    Mission Matters Group
    Washington, MO

• 3.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 04, 2016 13:34

Thanks Erin & Maria! Looking forward to the discussions.

About me: Oren Levine, currently Director of Innovation at the International Center for Journalists, formerly a product manager at PBS, program manager at Nokia, and many other jobs before that.

3. Favorite PM-related topic: agility, and how it can be applied to all sorts of projects (not just software or product development)

4. Recent PM-related win: started a trial of applying a loose "agile' process to manage the activities of one of our fellows, defining concrete periodic goals and instituting regular tracking meetings and retrospectives to manage progress.

Oren Levine
    Director of Innovation
    International Center For Journalists

• 4.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 07, 2016 16:31

Hello fellow PM nerds!

I'm Lisa Jervis, principal at Information Ecology, a small consulting firm working with nonprofits to identify what they need from their information systems and how to get it (with an emphasis on human practices in addition to tools).

Favorite PM-related topic: Getting non-PM nerds to understand that effective project management is about shared agreements and communication more than any shiny piece of PM software (though I do love my software!).

Recent PM-related win: Moving a client conversation from many one-on-one email conversations to a single open collaborative thread in their chosen but un-used PM tool.

Looking forward to discussions!

-Lisa

On 11/4/16 10:33 AM, Oren Levine via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network wrote:
    Thanks Erin & Maria! Looking forward to the discussions. About me: Oren Levine, currently Director of Innovation at the International Center for...

Project Management

Re: Introductions and favorite PM topics
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Oren Levine
    Nov 4, 2016 1:34 PM
    Oren Levine

Thanks Erin & Maria! Looking forward to the discussions.

About me: Oren Levine, currently Director of Innovation at the International Center for Journalists, formerly a product manager at PBS, program manager at Nokia, and many other jobs before that.

3. Favorite PM-related topic: agility, and how it can be applied to all sorts of projects (not just software or product development)

4. Recent PM-related win: started a trial of applying a loose "agile' process to manage the activities of one of our fellows, defining concrete periodic goals and instituting regular tracking meetings and retrospectives to manage progress.

Oren Levine
    Director of Innovation
    International Center For Journalists
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are subscribed to the Project Management community as lisa@iecology.org. To change your notifications, go to Community Notifications. To unsubscribe this community, go to Unsubscribe.

NOTE: Links in this message are connected to your account. Clicking links in this message will log you into your account automatically. Be careful when sharing.
    Join

--  Lisa Jervis Principal Information Ecology: Strategic technology for progressive organizations https://iecology.org/  My preferred pronouns are she/her.

• 5.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 07, 2016 10:31

1. Carmen Mincy

2. Ninestone Corporation

3. How IT Strategy can help achieve corporate mission.

4. Working with more nonprofits to align technology with achieving the organizational mission.

Carmen Mincy

Mobile:
     781-354-6781

Sales and Marketing Associate

Email: cmincy@ninestone.com

Ninestone Corporation - We're Hiring

Professional Profile

• 6.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 10, 2016 17:06

Thanks Oren, Lisa and Carmen!

I love the practical use of Agile, a great win with tools that you already own (hmm... sounds like something I’ve heard before!) and aligning technology to mission!

What a great start – happy to hear from you all!

Maria Sterck
    Director, Technology Services
    Mission Matters Group
    Washington, MO

• 7.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 15, 2016 17:47

I'm Mark Root-Wiley. I make WordPress websites for nonprofits in Seattle, WA at MRW Web Design. I've also developed a free WordPress-for-nonprofits online guide, NonprofitWP.org. Finally, I help moderate the awesome NTEN WP forum.

I suspect I'll be more of a lurker, but I'm most interested in PMing between consultants and organizations, particularly on small projects. I find that my clients struggle to use just about every PM tool or process, but I suspect that's mostly on me.

I'd barely call this a win, but a recent client uses Basecamp, so we have a form of project management and it's great!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA

• 8.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 15, 2016 22:51

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jayne and I am a Project Manager with 12 years experience in enterprise information architecture for space exploration topics at JPL and NASA. I exited the workforce for 3 years to earn an MFA in Theatre Design, which is where I started my career.

After I got my degree in 2015, I moved from Southern California to Southern Oregon in an effort to escape pollution, crowds and drought. I'm now finding that securing employment is very tough here and am contemplating a move to a larger metropolitan area, such as Portland. 

My favorite PM related topic is anything to do with improving Enterprise Information Management (EIM). Also, leading while mentoring, achieving consensus while encouraging a diversity of opinions and celebrating every schedule milestone. 

My most recent PM win is that I just spent three months coordinating a team of 9 volunteers to formulate the themes, speakers, sessions and program for the 2017 Women's Leadership Conference. It has turned out incredibly well and I am very gratified that I donated my energy and efforts to this project. It has made me feel competent, needed, and, most importantly, a good citizen of the community. 

Cheers all, and send your tips and advice for passing the PMP exam my way! 

Jayne Dutra
    Consultant
    Information Management for the Arts
    Medford, OR

• 9.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 16, 2016 13:03

Hi All! 

1. Samantha Canuel 

2. Digital Projects Coordinator at WABE/PBA & Tech Guru for all things digital 

3. I'm always looking for more information/suggestions on working with virtual teams. I have quite a few vendors I manage. 

4. Our digital department created the first, ever, digital driven section on our site. We did not use the newsroom at all (which is huge for public broadcasting!). Check it out: wabe.org/election 

I'm really excited to be part of the NTEN tech community.  

Samantha Canuel
    Digital Projects Coordinator
    Public Broadcasting Atlanta
    Smyrna, GA

• 10.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:26

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jeanne Cost and I am a project manager at Fuse IQ. We are a Seattle-based website design and development company that loves tackling the complex technology and communications challenges nonprofits typically face.

We build websites in Drupal and now Wordpress. I act as the PM on the project, but also do some site building. 

My favorite PM related topic is how to incorporate Agile in a consulting practice. We do a form of Agile that we developed around building websites with Drupal, but are always looking to improve on our methodology. 

My most recent PM related win would launching our first Drupal 8 site. It's always a bit of a challenge using the latest software since you'll never know what challenges you'll run across. But that also makes it more fun since there is some new to learn. 

Jeanne Cost
    Fuse IQ
    Seattle, WA

• 11.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Nov 21, 2016 14:08

Hi Everyone:

(BTW: Jeanne Cost, I was grinning at your post because my answers are pretty much identical. I will try to find something creative to say here.)

--> My name is Monica-Lisa Mills.

--> I am VP Client Services (translation: I manage the team and run our biggest projects) at Advomatic, a web development shop that builds Drupal and Wordpress sites for non-profits, do-gooders, NGO's, mission driven and progressive orgs, including education, healthcare, labor and arts organizations.

--> My all time favorite PM-related topic for the last ten years has been how to adapt Agile development for projects that are a partnership between vendors and clients (rather than in-house) and specifically, for clients in the sectors we work with (who have very different needs/structures than for-profits).

--> But lately, I am also thinking a lot about how to wrap in enough client education about how tech projects work into the process so they can make informed decisions.

--> Ok, and I hate RFP's and think they are horrible for clients, too. They start projects off on the wrong foot, among other things.

I know, that is three things. I'll make the last one short to compensate...

--> Actually, there is no way I can explain this in a few words, so I will just say that the wins were related to Drupal 8 and Accessibility, two huge points of focus for me and my team this year.

----
    Monica-Lisa Mills
    VP Client Services
    Advomatic, LLC
    New York, NY

• 12.  RE: Introductions and favorite PM topics

Posted Jun 14, 2017 13:14

Hi Everyone - and thanks for letting me join this group. I am just finishing the NTEN Core training and felt like I needed a new community as that one is ending...

2. I work in Seattle at Washington Trails Association where I handle many things in and surrounding operations, administration, and tech project management

3. Favorite PM-related topic: communication!

4. Recent PM-related win: recognizing how terrible we are at project management and learning a little from the core on how to correct this

Kara Chin
    Washington Trails Association
    Seattle, WA