Discuss

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

How project managers improve NGO organizations

• 1.  How project managers improve NGO organizations

Posted Nov 15, 2016 22:36
    Edited by Bethany Lister Jun 29, 2017 19:45

Hello All!

I'm a new member of this community. I'm an experienced project manager who would like to work in the nonprofit world. I have decided that I would like to take the PMP exam and would appreciate any and all advice other members have to offer. 

As a contribution to the community, here is an interesting article about how project managers improve NGO organizations:

Project Managers in Non-Governmental Organizations

Pmpro remove preview
    Project Managers in Non-Governmental Organizations
    Velociteach has provided PMP training and materials to more than 250,000 customers over the past ten years. Click here for more information. ad Successful project managers and their teams in nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) are true heroes, delivering benefits to external stakeholders whose lives may very well depend on them.
    View this on Pmpro >

Cheers!

------------------------------
    Jayne Dutra
    Consultant
    Information Management for the Arts
    Medford, OR
    ------------------------------

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: How project managers improve NGO organizations

Posted Nov 16, 2016 09:23
    Thanks Jayne for sharing that article.

I've too flirted with the idea of getting PMP certified and then seem to always fall into the internal debate of whether PMP or some sort of Agile/Scrum training would be more appropriate for me. Too much hemming hawing has meant that I haven't pursued either ;-) but this is a good reminder that I should revisit this in 2017. Thanks,
    Erin

Erin Fogel
    Director of Project Strategy
    twitter.com/erinfogel

?

• 3.  RE: How project managers improve NGO organizations

Posted Nov 17, 2016 13:01
    Hi Erin,

Thanks for your note! Yes, it's hard to know which effort will actually pay off. I've found that there are several groups on LinkedIn that have information on the PMP exam. It might be useful to join a couple and get an idea of the questions and how hard the exam might be.

Cheers,

Jayne