Discuss

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Scrum/Agile trainings

• 1.  Scrum/Agile trainings

Posted Nov 28, 2016 09:55

To dovetail the previous thread, I thought i'd start a new one collecting resources for Scrum or Agile training courses. I have yet to take one, but have heard good things about these:

Enterprise Agile Transformation

Does anyone have other (online or in-person) training courses they'd like to recommend?

Thanks,
    Erin

------------------------------
    Erin Fogel
    Director of Project Strategy
    DevCollaborative
    Winchester, MA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Scrum/Agile trainings

Posted Nov 29, 2016 09:23

Great idea, Erin! 

the Leading Agile courses seem to be focused on Scrum (at least that's what I saw), which is useful if you want to learn that specific process, but perhaps less so if you're interested in "agile" as a broader approach to product and project management.

This set of courses looks promising. I don't know the company, but I like the breadth of topics they cover:

Agile Training and Certification | TwentyEighty Strategy Execution

-Oren

Oren Levine
    Director of Innovation
    International Center For Journalists

• 3.  RE: Scrum/Agile trainings

Posted Nov 30, 2016 11:31

I'm attending this one next week: Training Schedule For 2016 in Seattle. Looks like they have trainings in other cities. I am not convinced we can do true Scrum (if anyone really does). Our teams are small (2 developers max) and we work with external clients. But it's good to get a better understanding and see what we can adapt to our situation. 

I'd be interested in hearing about how organization got their developers on board. Here the PMs are driving it, but we would really need buy-in from the developers. Did you send them to training as well? 

We have been applying "agile" practices for awhile though, if you look at the Agile Manifesto: http://agilemanifesto.org/

Jeanne Cost
    Fuse IQ
    Seattle, WA

• 4.  RE: Scrum/Agile trainings

Posted Dec 01, 2016 21:26

Hi all,

This is a nice discussion, and I am happy to contribute thoughts and resources regarding Agile/Scrum trainings.

I was trained in Agile back in 2010 as part of a software project that was in the process of "moving to" Agile.  At the time I attended 3 days of Agile training, which were helpful indeed and familiarized me with basic concepts and techniques. Eventually I did get the bug, and became an Agile Coach for a publisher that was transforming from print to digital and trying to reshape departments into teams. I think Agile concepts can be applied to many different industries and practices, even though it originated with software. But it takes commitment on the part of the organization if it is going to succeed and has a chance at being transformative. 

I will say my real learning came from having the opportunity to work with someone, in this case the Scrum Master, who really understood how Agile principles get applied on the job. He taught me that  Agile is much more about mindset than it is the set of techniques. Scrum, to me, represents more the techniques (dedicated teams, daily stand-ups, working in sprints), while Agile was the mindset (working incrementally, starting small, testing ideas, incorporating feedback, prioritizing). 

And there are flavors of Agile out there. And the terms Agile and Scrum get used interchangeably. Another word that gets tossed in is Lean. Lean thinking, Agile mindset. There are many points of overlap and these practices/frameworks do feed into each other.

Here are a few resources that have been very helpful in my Agile/Lean/Scrum journey...

To understand how Agile mindset gets applied to organizations, I recommend starting with this: An Agile Adoption and Transformation Survival Guide by Michael Sahota (this is available as a free download). I wished I had started with this.

As I mentioned, Agile mindset and Lean have much in common. To understand Lean mindset, I highly recommend Lean Startup by Eric Ries. He does an amazing job of translating these concepts into real life.

If you are interested in learning Scrum and want to certify as a Scrum Master, or learn enough about it to see if it would be a good fit, I recommend the Scrum Alliance.

Mountain Goat is also a great source, and their website is loaded with goodies.

I hope this is helpful. 

Kim

Kim Snyder
    Director of Projects
    RoundTable Technology
    New Rochelle, NY

• 5.  RE: Scrum/Agile trainings

Posted Dec 02, 2016 10:19

Great resources, everybody! Keep 'em coming.

Kim - I especially appreciated your distinction: Scrum, to me, represents more the techniques (dedicated teams, daily stand-ups, working in sprints), while Agile was the mindset (working incrementally, starting small, testing ideas, incorporating feedback, prioritizing). 

Erin Fogel
    DevCollaborative
    Winchester, MA

• 6.  RE: Scrum/Agile trainings

Posted Dec 02, 2016 10:22
    Also, this is another resource that a colleague recommended: http://scrumstudy.com/

I'm going to start a Google Doc with all these links and share with the group.

--

Erin Fogel
    twitter.com/erinfogel

?