Discuss

last person joined: 9 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Backing up a Mac ideas

• 1.  Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 10, 2019 15:37
    Hello NTen, we have a Mac that is used for Video Editing along with other Graphic Design work.  I'm looking for some ideas on how best to backup this Mac.   I have considered using Time Machine but I've heard mixed thoughts regarding Time Machine and backups.

This Mac does have an attached external Drive and I have a couple of other external drives that I'm looking to combine and then back them all up on to possible another single external drive but then I need to somehow keep that now combined external drive safe (backed up) as well.

------------------------------
    Marty Bearstop
    National Breast Cancer Coalition
    IS Administrator
    Washington, DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 11, 2019 07:16
    Hi Marty,

I've had a great experience with Arq Backup.  Currently backing up to Amazon S3, but you can use a cloud service of choice, including Arq's own cloud service. (Amazon cloud ended up being most cost effective for me.)

We back up two different computers daily with 30 days retention and the experience has been "set and forget." Retrieving files is easy-- just use the Arq app to browse to the backup date of choice and then drag & drop files to your computer.  I haven't backed up external drives but the Arq website says it can handle them.

We previously used Time Machine but abandoned it when I found Arq.

Steve

Steve Fleckenstein
    social sector capacity builder
    futurefactory.org
    Arlington, VA
    pronouns: he/his

• 3.  RE: Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 11, 2019 13:15
    I like Carbon Copy Cloner: https://bombich.com

Andrew Mallis
    CEO & founder @ www.kalamuna.com
    Oakland, CA
    mallis@kalamuna.com
    925-255-5204 x700

• 4.  RE: Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 11, 2019 20:44
    We use Carbonite to back up our Macs. It's another set and forget. If you don't turn the computer on for x days or don't have an internet connection to the computer it sends you a notice. Otherwise it backs up continuously and is quite reasonably priced

Kai Williams
    Executive Director
    Eugene, OR

• 5.  RE: Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 12, 2019 20:42
    If you want a local and cloud backup service I recommend Carbon or IDrive, they are both set and forget and allow you to use other machines for local backup as well as cloud.  If you are all Apple then pay the premium and us iCloud.

Ellery July
    Saint Paul, MN

• 6.  RE: Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 14, 2019 11:36
    Hi Marty,

My organization has had a good experience with Backblaze so far! I have had to restore from a backup with the tool and it went smoothly. Good luck! -Jill

Jill Brownfield
    TurboVote Partnerships Lead
    Los Angeles, CA

• 7.  RE: Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 14, 2019 15:18
    Thank you everyone for your feedback.  I will take a look at each of these options to see what which one will work for me.

Marty

Marty Bearstop
    IS Administrator
    Washington, DC

• 8.  RE: Backing up a Mac ideas

Posted Oct 15, 2019 08:37
    Carbon Copy Cloner is a good choice for all of the internal and external drives you have. We switched from Time Machine to CCC within the past year and I found the email reporting really useful for a quick check on backup status.

We've also used Code42's Crashplan for years now and have had a small number of externals backed up to the cloud along with the internal machine disk. Both good and different options.

Brian Cavanaugh
    Director of Digital
    New York, NY