Discuss

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Google play donations

• 1.  Google play donations

Posted Dec 13, 2018 08:18
    So this popped up into my inbox today: Android users can now donate to charities through the Google Play Store   
    TechCrunch remove preview
    Android users can now donate to charities through the Google Play Store
    The Google Play Store is receiving an update today that will allow customers to make charitable donations to nonprofits from their Android device. While it may seem odd to be rallying for support for charities within the same marketplace where users download apps and games, it's not uncommon ...
    View this on TechCrunch >

Although this is only for "The Bigs" for now, I think we will see a roll-out to other nonprofits over the next 1-2 years.  (Total guesswork on my part, based on observations of past behaviors from other huge organizations.)
    I was paying attention to this after I heard the local traffic/news station feature a local nonprofit---a visit to their website shows no ability to apply for this "Charity of the Month" status, but the website showed their platinum status on Charity Navigator.  We've all noticed how, over time, Facebook has expanded their charity outreach as well.
    I suspect Google will also rely on sources like Charity Navigator to decide which nonprofits have the most visibility and impact. Be sure your CN and Guidestar ratings are maxed to be eligible for surprise opportunities.

------------------------------
    Tricia Maddrey BakerSocial Media/Communications ManagerBethesdaMD
    pronouns she/her
    Always Moving Forward

• 2.  RE: Google play donations

Posted Dec 14, 2018 09:33
    Wondering if organizations will have to go through the same process of setting up an account to receive donations (like one has to do with AmazonPay to accept donations made through Alexa)? Tried to do a quick search on that and couldn't find anything, so if anyone has any insight, please share!

Thanks,
    Christina

Christina Schnoor
    Director of Digital Fundraising
    American Near East Refugee Aid
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Google play donations

Posted Dec 14, 2018 09:37

I believe that the roll-out to organizations other than this first group will be evolving. I couldn't find information on signing up, either, but I suspect that over time there will be opportunities.  Until then!

All the best,

Tricia

Tricia Maddrey Baker

AAMDSIF #MarrowStrong

301-279-7202 ext. 133

• 4.  RE: Google play donations

Posted Dec 14, 2018 12:45
    Interesting discussion~  Thanks for sharing, Tricia!

LisaLane
    Nonprofit Garden
    Lisa@nonprofitgarden.com