Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Looking to find other 12 step-ers during NTEN

• 1.  Looking to find other 12 step-ers during NTEN

Posted Feb 04, 2020 11:40
    Hello

I am recovering addict and will be attending NTEN.  Usually when I go to conventions, I try to seek out other members of 12 step fellowships.  The reason for this is it can be awkward and sometimes dangerous for a person in recovery to attend the social events alone.

I have no problem breaking my anonymity.  If you don't want to break yours, please email me at john@thinktandem.io and we can go form there.

Looking forward to NTEN, see y'all there.

John

------------------------------
    John Ouellet
    https://thinktandem.io/
    Port Charlotte, FL
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Looking to find other 12 step-ers during NTEN

Posted Feb 05, 2020 09:29
    Hi John!

NTEN is super supportive of folks in recovery. The staff members recognize how challenging it can be to attend events that are so heavily social and where there tend to be a lot of people drinking. They provide space for community 12-step meetings every morning before the main program begins. It looks like there will be meetings Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 7:30am this year: https://www.nten.org/ntc/program/agenda/?page=day-2

Best!
    Margaux

Margaux O'Malley
    Senior Manager, Digital Communications & Web Operations
    Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
    pronouns: she/her/hers

• 3.  RE: Looking to find other 12 step-ers during NTEN

Posted Feb 05, 2020 09:32
    Wow, that's the first time I have ever seen that at a convention.  Thank you so much!

John Ouellet
    Port Charlotte, FL

• 4.  RE: Looking to find other 12 step-ers during NTEN

Posted Feb 05, 2020 13:32

Thanks for your question, John! (And reminder that as an attendee you have access to the 20NTC forum in case you want to post about this or other topics there.)

And thanks for your response, Margaux!

To add to Margaux's response: yes, there are 12 step meetings in the morning as she pointed out. Coffee and tea are provided there. All official 20NTC receptions and the party have plenty of non-alcoholic options, and we invite community members to set up sober Dine Arounds, as well as after-hours excursions around Baltimore. When you check in at registration to print your badge, a "Drink Ticket" will also print for you - this can be used at the receptions and provides you access to any non-alcoholic beverage (you can also leave it at the registration desk if you do not want to have it).

Excited to have you join us in Baltimore!

a

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 5.  RE: Looking to find other 12 step-ers during NTEN

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Julia Sheehy 24 days ago
    I am hoping to attend next year.  Grateful to see this question posted and really impressed by the response as well.  First time I have ever seen this embedded in convention planning too.  Sorry that the association had to take the hit in cancelling the conference for COVID-19 infection control.  Wise and responsible and painfully expensive decision demonstrating admirable integrity.

Hope everyone has a great day.  Happy Friday!

Julia Sheehy
    Avila Institute of Gerontology, Inc.

• 6.  RE: Looking to find other 12 step-ers during NTEN

Posted Feb 06, 2020 18:50

I work in the recovery field and was happy to find the "Friends of Bill" morning meetings in Austin and Portland. Sadly I'm going to miss Baltimore but not next year. See you all there.

Peaceful and Serene

DJ Brown

Houston, TX