Discuss

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Best Practices for Free Wifi Zone - email sign up?

• 1.  Best Practices for Free Wifi Zone - email sign up?

Posted Jun 26, 2019 13:45
    Hello everyone! My organization plans on rolling out free public wifi in our building in the fall. Does anyone have experience / an opinion about including a field to ask people to enter their email address to receive newsletters and promotions? My local airport does this - it makes me click a button to accept the terms and conditions of using the wifi, and gives me the option to opt into their email newsletter.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Michelle Tribe
    Manager: E-Giving and Integration
    Ottawa Humane Society
    Ottawa, ON
    ------------------------------
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Best Practices for Free Wifi Zone - email sign up?

Posted Jun 26, 2019 13:57
    I think if you're offering a service, free wifi, it is completely within reason to present a landing page and an opportunity to subscribe or signup. 

I personally think it should remain optional, however I know many community centers and libraries that require an email to use public wifi, too.

Chris

2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline