Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Best practices for being inclusive in forms and communication

• 1.  Best practices for being inclusive in forms and communication

Posted Feb 01, 2018 12:10
    Edited by Bethany Lister Feb 01, 2018 12:52
    Our organization is working on diversity, access, equity and inclusion issues and I am looking for information about making our membership, donation and registration forms more inclusive. Do you have any best practices guidelines about this issue? Suggested name prefix values? Personal pronoun lists? Other areas where we need to be aware of issues?

I realized recently when a member called and asked that we add Mx. to our prefix list that we are, number one, behind the curve on this and number two, that having someone have to ask, is as far from being inclusive as an organization can get. I want to do a lot better.

In my research I have found a few helpful links:

------------------------------
    Edmund Stawick
    Dir. Online Services & Technology
    Chorus America
    Washington, DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Best practices for being inclusive in forms and communication

Posted Feb 02, 2018 13:45
    I spoke at last year's TRANSform Tech conference about collecting name data.  I really need to write up that presentation in article format.  But, here's the slide deck - has some good info.  https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/6e49a0_93088a7a2cfb4e2bb83f8733a088dd72.pdf

If you are an organization that uses Salesforce, there is a new, free, third-party app to deal with collecting demographic info - Fuzzy Picklists.
    bethbrains/FuzzyPicklists

TJ Warfield
    Salesforce Technical Strategist
    tj@datageekslab.com
    Data Geeks Lab
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA

• 3.  RE: Best practices for being inclusive in forms and communication

Posted Feb 02, 2018 16:31
    Here's a still great article from 2010 about "Designing a Better Drop-Down Menu for Gender".

As Option #2 in the article suggests (and I'd move it to #1), being intentional about what data you'll actually need and use before asking for it at all is one of the best ways to start. If you don't need to collect gender, don't ask for it! I think name "prefixes" often (mostly?) fall into that category in many cases, so ask yourself if you can ditch them altogether.

Having spoken with other folks on this topic in the past, I also know that having a clear and publicly-available Privacy Policy that your organization actually follows is an important addition to inclusive (and safe) data collection, storage, and use practices.

I also remembered that there was a "Make Your Data Trans-Inclusive" session at NTC17. I was super bummed to miss it, but the notes are good and linked right there. As I review them today, I see both points above and so much more! Tagging one of the presenters @Avory Faucette (and @Avory Faucette?) in hopes they might have some good stuff to add here.​​​​​​​

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA

• 4.  RE: Best practices for being inclusive in forms and communication

Posted Mar 23, 2018 13:01

I know I'm late to this thread but wanted to chime in because this is SO important. Here's another article that speaks to the issue more broadly, with great generalized guidelines: https://medium.com/shenomads/respectful-collection-of-demographic-data-56de9fcb80e2

On 2/2/18 1:31 PM, Mark Root-Wiley via NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network wrote:
    Here's a still great article from 2010 about "Designing a Better Drop-Down Menu for Gender". As Option #2 in the article suggests (and I'd move...

Discuss

Re: Best practices for being inclusive in forms and communication
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Mark Root-Wiley
    Feb 2, 2018 4:31 PM
    Mark Root-Wiley
    Here's a still great article from 2010 about "Designing a Better Drop-Down Menu for Gender".

As Option #2 in the article suggests (and I'd move it to #1), being intentional about what data you'll actually need and use before asking for it at all is one of the best ways to start. If you don't need to collect gender, don't ask for it! I think name "prefixes" often (mostly?) fall into that category in many cases, so ask yourself if you can ditch them altogether.

Having spoken with other folks on this topic in the past, I also know that having a clear and publicly-available Privacy Policy that your organization actually follows is an important addition to inclusive (and safe) data collection, storage, and use practices.

I also remembered that there was a "Make Your Data Trans-Inclusive" session at NTC17. I was super bummed to miss it, but the notes are good and linked right there. As I review them today, I see both points above and so much more! Tagging one of the presenters @Avory Faucette (and @Avory Faucette?) in hopes they might have some good stuff to add here.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are subscribed to the Discuss community as lisa@iecology.org. To change your notifications, go to Community Notifications. To unsubscribe this community, go to Unsubscribe.

NOTE: Do not forward. Links in this message are connected to your account. Clicking links in this message will log you into your account automatically.
    NTEN Stories

--  Lisa Jervis Principal Information Ecology: Strategic technology for progressive organizations https://iecology.org/  My pronouns are she/her.  Want to send me encrypted email? My public key is available at https://ecl.gy/lj-gpg.