Discuss

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Google Analytics: Scheduled Reports Compared Date Ranges Identical

• 1.  Google Analytics: Scheduled Reports Compared Date Ranges Identical

Posted May 21, 2019 17:26
    Colleagues-

I had to recreate our scheduled google analytics reports emails. Scheduled emails that contain reports that compare a date range to the previous year are comparing identical date ranges. For example, if I select a Date Range of "Last Month," click Apply, the click Compare To, Previous Year, then apply, the date ranges are April 1, 2019-April 30, 2019 Compared to April 1, 2018-April 30 2018. So far, so good.

If I share that report to email myself, selecting PDF, Frequency Once, I get a report that compares April 1, 2019-April 30, 2019 to April 1, 2018-April 30 2018. So far, so good.

If I share that report and SCHEDULE an email with the same parameters to myself to test, selecting PDF, Frequency Daily, I get a report that compares May 20, 2019- May 20, 2019 to May 19, 2019 to May 19th, 2019. Not so good.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or have a suggestion for how to fix it?

------------------------------
    Sean McGovern
    COLUMBUS, OH
    Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Google Analytics: Scheduled Reports Compared Date Ranges Identical

Posted May 22, 2019 10:12
    Sean-

It sounds to me like the scheduled email might be forcing previous period, which for a daily email would be previous day. That being said, we have scheduled reports that run daily and weekly for previous 30-days rather than previous month and they are working as expected.

I have also found that Google Analytics is aggressive about reverting the date range when I switch screens. Every time I edit an existing scheduled email or create a new one, I have to be extra vigilant that the date range is what I want.

If all of the checks out, try the Google Analytics help forum. You might not find a solution but you might find others experiencing the same thing.

Alison Hinchman
    Director of Digital Engagement and Acquisition
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Google Analytics: Scheduled Reports Compared Date Ranges Identical

Posted May 22, 2019 12:02
    Thanks for your reply, Alison. The "scheduled reports that run daily and weekly for previous 30-days rather than previous month and they are working as expected." is what is getting me- I don't know. If I find a solution I'll post back here. Thanks for your input.   

--
    Sean McGovern
    SARE Outreach
    614-306-6422

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Google Analytics: Scheduled Reports Compared Date Ranges Identical

Posted May 22, 2019 13:22
    Don't know if it matters, but our reports are all custom dashboards. There are definitely times when GA reports have gone wacky for everyone or a lot of people so it might be worth checking the help boards.

This message is old but gets the same issue: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Scheduled-Reports-date-range/td-p/517362

Good luck!

Alison Hinchman
    Director of Digital Engagement and Acquisition
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Google Analytics: Scheduled Reports Compared Date Ranges Identical

Posted May 22, 2019 15:22
    Yes, I think this gets to the point- "Weekly reports will do just that, show the last week."  

If that's the case, setting a daily report to report on the last week won't work.  I modified my report to trigger monthly with a delivery date of tomorrow to test. Let's see if that will work. Will let you know.

SM

--
    Sean McGovern
    SARE Outreach
    614-306-6422

Tech Accelerate