Discuss

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Taxonomy Development

• 1.  Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 24, 2019 08:52

We are a very complex national nonprofit and I'm looking to build a taxonomy for tagging content and populating a preference center to enable personalized content delivery through our national newsletter. Has anyone developed a taxonomy you'd be willing to share with me?

Catherine Hyde (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Sr. Director, Digital Engagement & Marketing Operations
    Enterprise Community Partners, Inc.

Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 25, 2019 07:35
    Amy,

Our taxonomy is very topic specific but if it helps you can see ours at: AILA - Research Library Results What we have as filter options we also use for customizing content and sending emails.  We break ours into two buckets - Topics which are substantive and Types which are about what kind of content something is.  Everything we post must have a Type and 95% of stuff also get Topics assigned.

-Andrea

------------------------------
    Andrea Chempinski
    Sr. Associate Director, Online Services
    American Immigration Lawyers Association
    Washington, DC

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 25, 2019 08:32
    Thanks Andrea, this is very helpful.

Catherine Hyde
    Senior Director
    Enterprise Community Partners
    Columbia, MD

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 25, 2019 11:55
    Catherine,

Given the broad spectrum of issues your organization touches on, one taxonomy will be quite a reach.

My initial thought was a search for “ontology repositories” which typically would be open source and I got quite a few good links to review, filtering further with housing, financing, and policy topics could yield some good options.

How you will plan on accomplishing assignment of your tags, with how much content and what delivery “segments” you are planning to use will be top considerations as you review and select your terms.

I would be interested in the thought process on this project.

Bob Snodgrass
    bsnodgrass@net2community.com
    630-781-9883

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 26, 2019 08:25
    thanks Bob. I search yielded a lot of good info.

Catherine Hyde
    Senior Director
    Enterprise Community Partners
    Columbia, MD

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 26, 2019 10:02
    Hi Catherine,

This sounds like a great project! My team works with nonprofits all over the country and has created many systems that sound similar to your needs. Most recently, we've created a system for tagging content on sites that can automatically segment audiences based on their interests. From there, we pass that information into newsletter systems (most commonly mailchimp, but there's a bunch of systems that would work just as well) that then look for any newly tagged content and automatically compile it into a daily/weekly/etc personalized digest. Depending on needs, we also pull relevant data (opens, clicks, etc) back into a CMS to display in interactive visuals (graphs, etc) for staff/exports/internal workflow needs. We also have a system where staff can set what we're calling an "engagement level" -- for example, you could set it to be 50%, which would mean that if your constituents engage (open, click, etc) less than 50% of your interactions they are "flagged." Staff can then see all "flagged" contacts and determine what, if any, action they want to take to increase that engagement level. For example, you could modify their particular tags based on the content they have engaged with to better serve them, or you might determine you want to reach out to someone on an individual basis to find out more about their interests and then modify their tags based on that conversation. This is allowing our clients to provide a much higher level of personalized content/drip campaigns/etc, ultimately leading to higher engagement rates, donations, and many other organizational goals (brand ambassadors, awareness, etc). If you'd like to chat more about this let me know!

Emily

Emily Frazier
    First Turn Media
    307-200-8987
    https://firstturnmedia.com

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 29, 2019 12:27
    Interesting question! I don't have a direct answer for your situation, but taxonomy is on my mind as I need to bring some order to a rat's nest of file folders, email boxes, and user roles before migrating to Office 365 later this year.

Winston Berger
    Data Systems Manager
    A Better Way, Inc.
    Berkeley, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted Apr 30, 2019 09:53
    Hi Catherine,
    Thank you for this topic.  I too am wrangling with how to best coalesce metadata, much like what Winston shared about the ubiquitous file share.  I work for a small academic unit that had already migrated to O365 before I arrived.   :-\   I will continue to wrestle with the problem while migrating more content to SharePoint while desperately trying to get them away from simply mimicking the existing folder and sub-folder ad-infinitum structure on the original shared drives.

Meanwhile, what I have found helpful while developing an activities database is schema dot org ( https://schema.org/ )  -- this does NOT answer your specific question but that site and ones like it might prove handy.  Hope so!  :-)

Good luck.  If you don't mind generally sharing how you addressed this puzzle I'd be very interested to learn of your solution.

Thanks!
    Julia

Julia Sheehy

Tech Accelerate

• 9.  RE: Taxonomy Development

Posted May 17, 2019 11:41
    Hi There,

There are some great replies back on this thread! I wanted to provide you with an additional source and consultant to look into Matt Johnson | Information Architect or Matt Johnson - Lecturer - Rutgers University School of Communication and Information | LinkedIn
    I hope this assists you in your search! 
    LinkedIn remove preview
    Matt Johnson - Lecturer - Rutgers University School of Communication and Information | LinkedIn
    Join LinkedIn 10+ years experience designing for and delivering multi-million dollar strategic projects and programs for Fortune 500 companies and 2 of 3 top US medical schools. DESIGN Implemented scoping and faceting capabilities for enterprise search Cross-platform metadata rationalization and alignmentLed user research to support taxonomy development, external/internal user experience governance and operational modeling for publishing and user data management workflows designed patented solution for information access management.
    View this on LinkedIn >

Ricky Martinez
    Account Manager
    www.techsoup.org
    San Francisco, CA

Tech Accelerate