Discuss

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Captions on livestreamed events

• 1.  Captions on livestreamed events

Posted Dec 18, 2018 08:26

Hi all!

Does anyone have any advice or experience in adding captions to events that are livestreamed, be they simple video of a speaker or a webinar?

Adding them after the fact is simple enough but I've only ever seen one solution for a live scenario and it was less than perfect, presentation-wise. That solution involved minimizing the webinar window, displaying a second window with the captions provided by an AI, and streaming a feed of the whole screen. It did work, but the webinar screen itself was reduced significantly, making it hard to read.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks,
    Greg

------------------------------
    Greg Galloway (he/him)
    White Plains, NY

• 2.  RE: Captions on livestreamed events

STAFF
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 18:50
    @Greg Galloway

I think the range of solutions really depends on the platform you are using for the live streaming. Agreed on your feedback about the solution that is in a different window is a poor experience. Separating the visual content from the visual is not a win for users.

We have used a live captioning solution on a number of our events and found it to be a great solution. It was a separate box under the slides (all in one screen) that updated in real-time. We use Adobe Connect so it is a combination of a plugin for that specific platform as well as working with a great service provider to actually do the service.

Can you share a few more details about what platform you are using to present on and we (me and others in the community hopefully) can maybe share some more specific resources.

Best,
    Ash

Ash Shepherd (pronouns: he/him)
    Education Director, NTEN
    503-272-8736
    ash@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg @NPTech_Ash

• 3.  RE: Captions on livestreamed events

Posted Jan 15, 2019 10:06
    Thanks, Ash.

We most commonly use GoToMeeting.

What is the plugin you use for Adobe Connect? Does it require a particular level of Adobe Connect's service?

Thanks again,
    Greg

Greg Galloway (he/him)
    White Plains, NY

• 4.  RE: Captions on livestreamed events

STAFF
    Posted Jan 16, 2019 09:21
    Adobe Connect uses elements called pods. So with a particular pod, we are able to connect it to a live captioning service we work with. So yes, it requires that you have an Adobe Connect account.

From my understanding, GoToMeeting doesn't have any options like this. 

However, there is a whole lot I don't know so I would suggest you reach out to the folks we work with to provide these services and see if they have any ideas or solutions. White Coat Captioning (https://www.whitecoatcaptioning.com/) is who we have worked with and enjoyed.

Join us at the 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference in Portland, OR, in March. Members save $300.

• 5.  RE: Captions on livestreamed events

Posted Jan 16, 2019 10:05
    Ash,
    This is great info. I will check them out.
    Thanks again for your help!
    -Greg

Greg Galloway (he/him)
    White Plains, NY

• 6.  RE: Captions on livestreamed events

Posted Jan 17, 2019 10:14
    Hi @Matthew Fielding! I admittedly know very little about this subject, but I know that design charrettes are a very popular participatory planning format getting used a lot these days. I suspect that even if they aren't quite right, the goals and general structure may be really useful to incorporate into your plans. Good luck!​

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA

• 7.  RE: Captions on livestreamed events

Posted Jan 17, 2019 09:17
    We have used a CART system with Home Team Captions (Home Team Captions: About). They provided an iframe type of embed we put beneath the video of our streamed event. Timing is tricky since we were also using it for the people in the room who wanted captions so for the remote participant they were seeing captions a bit ahead of the video. But if all your participants are remote this can be avoided.

Deborah Goldberg
    Director of Marketing & Communications
    Union for Reform Judaism
    New York, NY

• 8.  RE: Captions on livestreamed events

Posted Jan 17, 2019 09:25
    Thank you, Deborah. I had not been thinking about captioning for people in the room – thanks for raising my awareness on that. And thanks for the info on Home Team Captions, I will check them out.

--
    Greg Galloway | Director of ABA Technology
    greg@bookweb.org | www.BookWeb.org | www.IndieBound.org
    Direct: 914.406.7568    Main:914.406.7500

American Booksellers Association
    333 Westchester Avenue, Suite S202
    White Plains, NY 10604

Please consider the environment before printing this email