Discuss

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Streamming Service for upcoming Event

• 1.  Streamming Service for upcoming Event

Posted Feb 22, 2019 14:54
    Hello everyone, I have a question.  I'm searching for a Streaming Service/firm that I can chat with to help me out with streaming a training event that my organization is having next month.  Although the event could work well as just a Webinar event using something like Zoom or WebEx, I have been asked to get prices for an all out Streaming Service including camera and a streaming platform.   Could anyone here offer some advice.

------------------------------
    Marty Bearstop
    IS Administrator
    National Breast Cancer Coalition
    Washington, DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Streamming Service for upcoming Event

Posted Feb 27, 2019 12:21
    Marty,
    My office recently used Penxy (http://penxy.com) for livestreaming featured speakers and other elements of our annual education event.
    Penxy's staff was professional and resourceful, worked well with the convention center AV team, worked well with my team, and created a quality livestream at a reasonable price.
    Things to keep in mind – lighting and internet connection speed are critical here and could easily exceed the cost of videography.
    Best,
    Greg

Greg Galloway (he/him)
    White Plains, NY

• 3.  RE: Streamming Service for upcoming Event

Posted Feb 27, 2019 20:17
    Hi Marty,

Zoom has two tiers: Zoom Meetings and Zoom Webinar

Zoom Webinar lets you stream to Facebook, or YouTube.

You might need a little help your first time or two - but once you know the ropes, it's a really nice feature

Feel free to reach out if you'd like to take a deeper dive

Best!

Bob Leming
    Philadelphia

--
    __

To learn and then put into practice - isn't that a delight?

To have friends come from afar - isn't that a joy?

- K'ung - from the Lun Yii

• 4.  RE: Streamming Service for upcoming Event

Posted Feb 28, 2019 09:15
    Edited by Paul Kerness Feb 28, 2019 09:26
    Starting where I assume you are (knowing nothing and having no experience), I was able to pull off a live stream event with great results using the Mevo camera (hardware) and Vimeo/Livestream (streaming service) combination. A $1,000 - $1,500 all in budget is reasonable if you can keep the "production team" in house or do it yourself. The included "onboarding support" and the ease of use of the Mevo made that bit possible. The biggest unexpected last minute challenge for me was sound. You will absolutely need to include at least one microphone and an "adapter" that connects the microphone(s) and camera, but it's mostly plug and play. While the camera does have a built in microphone, the sound was horrible. A $75 mic and similarly priced external TRSS mixer purchased last minute from Guitar Center saved the day for me. The result made me a hero.

Paul Kerness, MSW, LSW, MCP
    Director of Deliverability
    Genii Research, LLC
    pkerness@cdesks.com

• 5.  RE: Streamming Service for upcoming Event

Posted Feb 28, 2019 11:16
    Thank you everyone for your replies/comments.  I do have very little knowledge with "Livestreaming". I have done many webinars using Adobe Connect.  I'm going to take a look at Zoom's Webinar tier to see if that fits my budget and also will work for us.  For what we are trying do having a crew of folks with cameras and equipment is kind of what I though might be needed so now I have some idea how things would work from the inexpensive end to the more expensive end.

Thanks
    Marty

Marty Bearstop
    IS Administrator
    National Breast Cancer Coalition
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Streamming Service for upcoming Event

Posted Mar 01, 2019 08:00
    I can't say enough good things about StreamSpot. Simple interface, they host our past events and even allow for clipping of videos to clean up the slow starts, etc.

Deborah Goldberg
    Director of Marketing & Communications
    Union for Reform Judaism
    New York, NY

• 7.  RE: Streamming Service for upcoming Event

Posted Mar 01, 2019 16:12
    I have managed a number of livestreams (talks, panels, rallies) to Facebook and YouTube using Wirecast Pro Studio software. It's great for multi-camera  streams but mostly I have used with a single camera.  Highly recommend it to produce an affordable professional-looking livestream.  Happy to chat further if helpful (jmccabe@reprorights.org).

Jeanne

Jeanne McCabe
    Senior Digital Producer
    Center for Reproductive Rights
    New York, NY