Discuss

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Salesforce Migration- document merge program

• 1.  Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 25 days ago
    We are in the middle of a Salesforce migration (from Donor Perfect). We are working with our consultant to make some important decisions regarding systems that will integrate with Salesforce.

Document generating program- our main use will be creating mail merges for donor acknowledgements with the system, along with some other donor communications needs. 
    We are deciding between the following programs. Does anyone have experience using either one of these?
    - DocGen
    - Apsona

Thanks,
    Yaeli

--
    Yaeli Bronstein
    Communications and Development Manager

pronouns: she/her/hers

Footsteps
    t. 212.253.0890 ext. 9
    f. 212.253.0894

One of Us, a critically acclaimed documentary about three Footsteps members is now available worldwide on Netflix! It's a rare and intimate portrait of our community and the support Footsteps provides. Check out the trailer here!

• 2.  RE: Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Medha Nanal 24 days ago
    Hi Yaeli,

Both tools are different and are aimed at different functions within an organization. I have reviewed DocGen (it was not a fit for my purpose), and I have worked with Apsona tool on Salesforce platform. My vote would be for Apsona, since it's not only a Document Merge tool but also a toolkit to achieve several other useful administrative tasks in an efficient manner.

On the downside, the tool is somewhat complex to learn (again, due to its feature-richness) -- therefore you should plan on appropriate knowledge transfer.

Also note, that depending on whether you intend to use electronic communication, or old-fashioned paper letters (they have their place!) or a combo -- your mileage with these tools will differ.

Feel free to reach out privately if you wish to discuss more -- I am happy to talk about the tool(s) in greater detail.

------------------------------
    Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 3.  RE: Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Kai Williams 24 days ago
    +1 for Apsona

I haven't looked into the other tool, so cannot provide a comparison, but IWRC has used Apsona since 2015 for document generation and data importing. We love it. I agree with Medha there is complexity there, but I've found you don't need to understand all of the functionality to get started with document generation.

Kai Williams
    Executive Director
    The IWRC
    Eugene, OR

• 4.  RE: Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 24 days ago
    Yes, agree with Kai, in that, to use document merge alone, the learning curve is quite short.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 5.  RE: Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 24 days ago
    Thanks Medha and Kai! That's helpful feedback as we make a decision for our team.

Yaeli Bronstein
    Communications and Development Manager
    Footsteps
    New York, NY

• 6.  RE: Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 24 days ago
    There is a contract minimum with Nintex's DocGen that may be above what you are looking to spend on this piece. There is an AppComparison/Consumer Reports group on the Power of Us hub (aka - the salesforce.org forums) that also has a some nice software eval matrixes available for various categories of products, including Doc Merge/Gen.

A lot of nonprofits go with Apsona for the reasons noted above but it is sort of a sledgehammer for a thumbtack kind of solution if you just want to do doc merges/generation.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 7.  RE: Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 23 days ago

A lot of nonprofits go with Apsona for the reasons noted above but it is sort of a sledgehammer for a thumbtack kind of solution if you just want to do doc merges/generation.
    Dar Veverka,  Jan 25, 2019 16:49

But of course document generation ISN'T all you want to do, once you have Apsona. You want to create reports that, in native Salesforce, require custom report types...and even that you can't do at all. You will have a question from your ED that requires multiple related objects which, because Apsona lets you pull from all the related objects, you can answer with a list view, instead of a painstaking report. You'll use it to mass fix things like state names that are all over the map and you want something with two capital letters. You'll use it to mass delete that unfortunate moment when you imported a bunch of stuff, and wish you hadn't. You will keep learning Apsona's versatile data import and management capabilities for a long time to come.

I also have on good authority that Apsona will be starting an Office Hours that will run every month if it looks like the community wants it. Call in, ask a question, get an answer.  Full disclosure-- I might be on the other end of the phone line from you. I don't work for Apsona (yet), but those folks have saved my data bacon more times than I can count.

Post Apsona questions here, if you like. I'll be happy to help out.

Trish Perkins, Certified Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce MVP
    Worldstouch
    High Point, NC
    worldstouch@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Salesforce Migration- document merge program

Posted 21 days ago
    We actually use Conga Composer and LOVE it. It works for invoices but also for creating acknowledgement letters. Super easy to use and set up! Happy to discuss this more with you if you like.

Rebecca

Rebecca Korduner