Discuss

last person joined: 9 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

• 1.  Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 03, 2017 09:01

I am looking for a digital asset management program that works with a WordPress site.  I have a historical society whose goal is to make their archives more searchable and relational.  Currently, they are using an open-source product called Omeka (https://omeka.org) for archiving their 30,000 documents and photos.

Someone in the office suggested a wiki-like structure.  The solution has to be easy to work with as volunteers do all of the input.

Background: They are VERY robust for its size of budget and staff.  They rely on volunteers to do a lot of the web work, but they are dwindling.  http://www.franklincokshistory.org

I am open to any ideas or suggest.  Thanks!

Cheryl
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 03, 2017 11:16
    Hi Cheryl,

If you don't find an answer here, someone in the Museum Computer Network's community might have a solution. You don't have to be an MCN member to join their listserve.

------------------------------
    Robert L. Weiner Consulting
    San Francisco, CA
    415/643-8955
    robert@rlweiner.com
    www.rlweiner.com
    Twitter: @robert_weiner

Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions

• 3.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 04, 2017 11:34
    Hi Cheryl,

The MN Historical Society has a project that sounds a lot like what I think you are describing.   It is called MNOpedia.

They have a note on their site about what they are using (Drupal 7 with an SQL back end).

Rick

--
    Rick Birmingham
    Development Director
    Community Involvement Programs

Community Involvement Programs Mission: As listeners, learners, and leaders, we will stand with and support people with disabilities in their communities as they pursue their personal dreams and goals.

• 4.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 05, 2017 12:41
    At the Gong Show at the NTEN conference this year, they mentioned an open source DAM called Resource Space. I don't know much more about it than the name right now, but I wrote it down to look into it more the future...

Sarah Craft
    Communications Strategist
    Equal Justice USA
    Brooklyn, NY

• 5.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 05, 2017 13:11
    Holy Cr*p that Resource Space is expensive.   If you use your own on-prem server with their software it's still almost $300/month.   If you go cloud, it's anywhere from $332 to $1,009/month.  

We are considering the same thing, but that's a lot more than we are willing to spend on picture storage and sharing.  Maybe Box for non-profits would work. If you buy access through TechSoup it's inexpensive. (Or was last year, I haven't looked lately).

Another approach might be using an actual internal storage appliance for it - WD My Cloud or Drobo or Buffalo TeraStation or something like that.  I don't think our needs are sophisticated enough to require a full-on DAM system, so YMMV. But a nice big hard drive with categories for files that we can get to from anywhere would be good.  

Best,

Beth Camero
    Technology Manager
    Quality Care Health Foundation
    California Association of Health Facilities

• 6.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 09, 2017 09:10
    We implemented ResourceSpace on-prem about six months ago.  Unless you want to purchase the support package there is no cost.  ResourceSpace is opensource.  Setup was very easy and we were up and running within about a week on a virtual server.

Robert Faille
    Director - Technology and Analytics
    University of Pennsylvania
    Newtown, PA

• 7.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 10, 2017 01:50
    It's free...just the support is the cost. But yeah, not cheap.

Sarah Craft - (610) 716-1646
    Communications Strategist
    Equal Justice USA

Join us to transform the justice system from one that harms to one that heals. 

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Make a gift to fuel the fight for justice reimagined.

• 8.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 08, 2017 20:43
    Local Portland firm, Netx, is a leader in this space:

http://netx.net/

- Mark

Mark Ace
    Kavi Corporation (now Higher Logic)
    Portland OR
    mace@higherlogic.com

• 9.  RE: Digital Asset Management for Historical Society

Posted May 17, 2017 12:53
    We've worked on a number of Drupal-based systems for similar applications, such as American Composers Alliance and Earle Brown Archives. Just like WP, open source and more robust in terms of flexibility and future-proofing the solution. You can try to tie a new system into the WP site, or as an option set it up on a separate subdomain. All depends on what functionality, if any you'd like for it to have as it relates to the "main" web site.

Peter Petrik
    Skvare, LLC
    Web sites that work
    https://skvare.com/