Discuss

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Class sign up tool?

• 1.  Class sign up tool?

Posted Jan 29, 2019 12:44
    Hi all!

Our training department puts on a lot of trainings for our staff and wants a simple system where someone can go to a webpage, see all the trainings, and sign up for ones that still have space.  Some additional features they would like:
    • Automatic reminders and Outlook calendar events
    • The ability to print out a sign in sheet, and then later mark attendance
    • A page that requires a password or login (or at least events that aren't indexed by search engines)
    • The ability to print out or email certificates of completion - nice to have
    • Super user friendly so that the tech team doesn't have to support it :)
    We can spend a bit of money.

We've looked at Eventbrite but I don't think I can make an Eventbrite landing page with events that are not public.  Calendly could be an option, but it seems that you can't print a sign out sheet or certificates of completion.  Maybe some sort of class management platform?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Shubha Bala
    Center for Court Innovation

Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Class sign up tool?

Posted Jan 30, 2019 10:12
    Hi Shuba,
    I see in another thread that you already have Salesforce. Many organizations have repurposed Volunteers for Salesforce for exactly the kind of functionality you are looking for. It would probably require some help from a consultant to change the labels and help you set it up, but it does work for this. Another option would be to get a Customer Community. You would be able to put your classes on the web page that comes with the community, have your "customers" sign up right there. Then there are the folks out there that actually provide events management that syncs easily with Salesforce. Soapbox Engage is one of them. Click and Pledge has an Events Management app that works well too. Hope some of this helps.

Trish

Trish Perkins, Certified Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce MVP
    Worldstouch
    High Point, NC
    worldstouch@gmail.com

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Class sign up tool?

Posted Jan 30, 2019 10:40
    We're exploring similar functionality at my organization. We're in the middle of testing a product from a company called SharePoint|Sapiens. They offer various add-ins for Office 365 and SharePoint. The event management tool is tied to your Active Directory, but it also allows external participants (you can turn this off if you don't want it). It has a calendaring function, a sign-up function that automatically sends Outlook calendars, and you get all the back-end list functionality that SharePoint offers in terms of being able to see who has signed up, print lists, do all sorts of slicing and dicing, etc. You can email event attendees directly from the event record, add materials, etc. It also lets you set up "tracks" if you're offering different types of events.

It won't cover your certificate requirement and it does require some work in SharePoint, but seems incredibly user friendly for both event organizers and end users once it's installed. The support has been great,too, and it's pretty affordable. They've offered to get on the phone with us if we need help configuring, etc.They're located in Vienna, so you don't get immediate answers, but I've always answers waiting in my inbox the next morning.

Lauren Abrahams
    Chief Information Officer
    Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles
    Los Angeles, CA

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Class sign up tool?

Posted Jan 31, 2019 12:25
    Edited by Medha Nanal Jan 31, 2019 12:25
    Hi Shubha,

This looks like an internal system, where information will be created by the staff and consumed by the same organization's staff. To begin with, is everyone who is a part of this ecosystem a Salesforce user with individual (not shared) login? Your suitable solution will heavily depend on this aspect.

Most commercial classroom management systems assume that the organization providing training is a separate entity from students. i.e. typically students do not get a user's login into the system. This, IMO, may pose limitations on getting a classroom management system and using it as-is. (Your staff will need to take an extraneous login account to view and sign up into your classes, if you use such a ready solution. This may or may not keep it "simple" as per your wish!)

Also, if you are using Outlook and you wish to continue using the Outlook system in sync with Salesforce, then look into Outlook Sync that is available for Salesforce. (There are a few products available, at various price points, at various robustness).

Based on the constraints that you mentioned, it appears to me that the best solution for your scenario might be to use a combination of some integrations and a bit of customization within Salesforce.

Hope this helps.
    Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Class sign up tool?

Posted Jan 31, 2019 13:30
    Thanks!!  These are great!!  We likely won't use salesforce since it's different sections of our orgs, but it's good to know and something we should look into down the road!

Has anyone used any of the following:
    • gosignmeup
    • eventzilla
    • planningpod

Shubha Bala
    Center for Court Innovation

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Class sign up tool?

Posted Feb 04, 2019 14:28

Hi Subha,

I don't have experience with the tools you listed, but working at Flipcause I have extensive experience setting it up and using it for different types of registrations.

In case it's helpful, I created an example of how this could be set up on Flipcause - https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NTAwNzY=
    I kept it super simple, but almost all the logos/images/colors/text can be customized and branded. There is also other fine-tuning available, such as showing how many are still available vs. sold, and limiting how many you allow to sign up.

Pros:
    - This setup will meet your stated reporting and check-in needs, and
    - you definitely don't need anyone in tech to set it up or use it.
    - Once you set up one session just the way you want it, you can clone it and change the dates pretty easily, as well as reordering them however you like. Also, they will automatically no longer be available and disappear after the date has passed, and they will show "sold out" instead of "select registration" if it's full.

Cons:
    - At the moment, no automated reminders to your registrants (although confirmation auto-emailed at time of registration).
    - At the moment, no ability for this software to auto-issue certificates of completion - that would need to be done manually with a report of who checked in/checked out
    - No password protection, but it's not listed publicly anywhere and it shouldn't be indexed by search engines.

Flipcause pricing starts at $100 a month (includes way more than just registration). Not sure this will meet your needs, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know!

Darya Gorlova
    Director of Client Experience
    Flipcause
    Oakland, CA

Tech Accelerate