Discuss

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

• 1.  Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 14, 2018 14:01
    Edited by Jason Samuels Nov 14, 2018 15:00
    My organization is looking at replacing paper raffle entry slips at our public events with iPad based kiosks.

I'm wondering if anyone else on here has done something similar, and if so do you have recommendations for hardware (i.e. security stands to keep them from walking off) and software (i.e. a kiosk mode app on the device to help them function better)?

Thanks,
    Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 14, 2018 14:17
    Google "Linux for kiosks" and you'll get matched for a free distros that are customized for kiosks use. I looked into this done years ago when I was at Goodwill.

Peter Campbell
    Technology Solutions Provider
    Washington DC
    https://techcafeteria.com

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 14, 2018 15:00
    Appreciate the suggestion Peter, but not looking to spin up a Linux distro on older hardware in this case. These kiosks will need to travel from city to city, so tablets are ideal, and iPads seem like a lower risk option given that there's a broad range of security enclosures available and fewer questions surrounding application compatibility for locking the OS down. I also need to provision this and then train less technical staff on how to set them up and hand it over to them, so ease of use is a priority.

But on the bright side I've got a decent budget for this project, considering that it's going to replace an exorbitant already budgeted cost for having paper raffle slips transcribed by a vendor.

So far I'm looking at this app called Kiosk Pro at a cost of $25 per device. I know that an iPad can be turned into a kiosk out-of-the-box via Guided Access mode, but this app enables capturing form data locally in case the internet fails - and that just seems like a good idea dealing with event venue WiFi.

I'm also intrigued by security enclosures made by Displays2Go and Bouncepad. I was looking at floor stands, but just chatted with our Marketing Director and they may want tabletop stands to put at our membership booth instead. So the verdict is still out on form factor. If going with floor stands though, the ability to hide a battery pack inside of the Bouncepad model to make them completely wire-free is appealing - both for the aesthetic and because we could then avoid additional power drop fees at the venue to keep them plugged in.

Back on point with the question though - has anyone else has done this, and what did you use to equip it?

Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN

• 4.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 15, 2018 08:40
    Jason,

We're using a number of iPad Mini's in guided access. While it's perfectly fine in our use case, it sounds like the apps you've found may be a better fit for you. Ours are being used in wall panels, but I have seen and looked into stands/kiosks after being impressed by a few I saw at the Foundation Center in NYC. They looked something like this: Navigator Series iPad Pro Floor Stand & Enclosure w/ Lock & Power Supply - Silver or iPad Floor Stand w/ Locked Enclosure, Rotating & Tilting Bracket - White.

Even though our iPads are in walls, I manage them with Jamf and couldn't recommend it more for security. You can remotely manage them, lock them in single app use, and provision multiple devices with apps via VPP and configuration profiles.

Good luck! Would love to know what you end up using. I may be looking for stands/kiosks again in the near future.

Brian

Brian Cavanaugh
    Director of Digital
    The Vilcek Foundation
    New York, NY

• 5.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 15, 2018 10:29
    I used ipads in kiosk mode very successfully at the food bank. I have also used Windows 10 tablets. The main reason we used ipads was because we had received a grant for some older models. Great use of ipad 2s. With Windows 10 you must have an app not a desktop application. I dont remember the kiosk stands we used but we found some that were not that expensive and used a key to lock and unlock. A google search should produce some good options.

Good luck.

Anthony Caufield
    Organizer
    Tech4Good-LV
    North Las Vegas, NV

• 6.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 16, 2018 07:59
    Hi Jason -

We used stands from Displays2Go at a former place I worked at. We did a mix of wall mount, floor stands and table stands based on the layout of the individual office and where they could put them for user privacy. They were used with the home button covered model stand for member feedback surveys on our service. The stands (all three types) held up well but if you are planning to cart these around to events, a floor model that will be sturdy enough to not get knocked over is heavy and not fun to slog around with. If they will be carried to events frequently, might want to stick with a table stand model.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 7.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 16, 2018 11:53
    Hi Dar, thanks for the feedback! Wondering if you can answer a couple of follow-up questions about the Displays2Go stands that you used:

• Do you remember which specific models you used? I'm most interested in knowing which floor stand models are sturdy enough to not get knocked over
    • Regarding those floor stands, do they disassemble into components which can fit into a crate and then re-assembled later?

Our use case is to use them at our four retail craft shows. We have crates full of stuff already which travel from show-to-show and get stored in a warehouse in-between, and we have both staff and convention center crews on site in each city who unpack and set up.

Whether we go with tabletop stands or floor stands is going to depend on a conversation with our marketing and show teams who determine the shape and layout of our space, and who manage the event on site. For my part I'm trying to suss out the details to inform that conversation and arrive at a good solution. Hence, gathering some details such as whether a floor stand will disassemble and fit into a crate is really important.

Thanks, Jason

Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN

• 8.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 16, 2018 16:55
    Hi Jason -

We used something close to this model (it may have actually been this model) in both the floor and table models: IPEVRFLWH2 .

While yes, it comes apart, I can't speak to how it holds up w/repeated disassembly and reassembly, You'd need something that would accommodate the length of that long bottom neck piece for shipping. They have foldup ones but they just didn't scream 'sturdy' to us when we were looking at models.

They're not terribly expensive. Could test one and return if just a no go. That is what we did- got a single floor stand in to make sure it met our needs and then ordered more after testing it.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 9.  RE: Recommendations for iPads in Kiosk mode

Posted Nov 16, 2018 18:07
    I just placed an order for that model. Love that it can convert between floor and tabletop stands to give us flexibility, and really glad to hear you found it to be sturdy.

We're gearing up to do a trial run with two stations at a local holiday craft fair that we're hosting two weeks from today. Going to use that as the test run and then equip for the larger shows after.

Thanks all for your input!

Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN