Discuss

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Moving Existing Monthly Donors to BBMS (Blackbaud Merchant Services)

• 1.  Moving Existing Monthly Donors to BBMS (Blackbaud Merchant Services)

Posted 15 days ago

Hi,

I don't know if this is the best forum to pose my question in, but I am hoping someone might be able to provide some help.

Has anyone recently moved to Blackbaud Merchant Services with a large file of existing monthly donors for which their sign-up/previous gifts we authorized/tokenized by another payment gateway? If yes, would you would you be willing to meet via phone or skype to discuss your experience and potential red flag issues? Ideally we would like you be a Canadian charity, but if you're not, that works too.

Thanks!

Michelle

------------------------------
    Michelle Wallis
    Sr. Mgr. Philanthropy, Business Operations
    Canadian Red Cross
    Mississauga, ON Canada

• 2.  RE: Moving Existing Monthly Donors to BBMS (Blackbaud Merchant Services)

Posted 15 days ago
    That's a great question! I haven't done the migration, but you may have better luck posting over in the Blackbaud forums at Blackbaud.com. Best of luck!

Michelle Tribe
    Manager: E-Giving and Integration
    Ottawa Humane Society
    Ottawa, ON

• 3.  RE: Moving Existing Monthly Donors to BBMS (Blackbaud Merchant Services)

Posted 14 days ago
    Michelle,

I managed this migration for our platform two years ago. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss. We had 10,000+ sustainers with lots of lessons learned. We still have some sustainers on previous platform for various reasons.

Nigel Rowe
    Feeding America, Inc
    nrowe@feedingamerica.org

Nigel Rowe
    Project Manager
    Feeding America
    Chicago, IL

• 4.  RE: Moving Existing Monthly Donors to BBMS (Blackbaud Merchant Services)

Posted 14 days ago

Hi Michelle,

We recently made the move, and I'm somewhat sorry we did. I can just give you lessons learned in a quick list right here.

1. If your previous platform is automated, stick with it for a few months instead of migrating now. Why? Because to process recurring transactions right now, you have to actually go in and create and process the batch manually every time. It's a huge step backward if you're used to just importing completed automated transactions. However, BB is in the process of adding the automation step in Q1 2019. I would wait till they have it running and have the kinks worked out if I had it to do all over again.

2. Unless they have changed the setup steps since I did this a couple of months ago, your export will need to include all of the payment info (and technically consent). OR, you can have all your donors go into your online donation form and re-start their recurring donation, thus providing updated info and consent. We lost a few donors that way. Those automated recurring donations fall into the category of "out of sight, out of mind," so when you remind donors they've set one up in the past, some choose not to re-engage that way. Let's not even talk about people who won't do that online, because odds are, they aren't going to call you to set it back up. You may have some luck calling them...

So, it's a headache, which all data migrations are, of course. Less of a headache if you wait till Q2 2019, I would hope.

Best wishes!

Susan Cornforth
    Self-Help International
    Waverly, IA

• 5.  RE: Moving Existing Monthly Donors to BBMS (Blackbaud Merchant Services)

Posted 14 days ago
    Following!  I have not done this (yet), but I do know they have a new-ish migration process that is supposed to make it easier to get your information into RE.

Susan, do you know if you used the new migration?  I think they were starting an Early Adopter Program for this a few months back.

Thanks,
    Shelby

Shelby Lewis
    National Manager of Development Data Systems
    Summer Search
    San Francisco, CA

• 6.  RE: Moving Existing Monthly Donors to BBMS (Blackbaud Merchant Services)

Posted 12 days ago
    Alas, we were not a party to the EAP for that. Anything that streamlines the process would be helpful, but there is still the caveat that each batch must be processed manually. I am SO looking forward to that being automated in 2019 - it's an enormous pain point for me!

Susan Cornforth
    Self-Help International
    Waverly, IA