Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Seeking Feedback - Online Community Management Tools

• 1.  Seeking Feedback - Online Community Management Tools

Posted Oct 16, 2019 18:41
    Hi all,

I've been doing some research into online community management tools, as the membership association I work for is considering a change. I'd be keen to hear some feedback on the community management tools you've been using in your work, as that'll help in our decision-making processes.

Thanks all,

Praan

------------------------------
    Praan Misir
    Project Officer
    Toronto, ON
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Seeking Feedback - Online Community Management Tools

Posted Oct 17, 2019 12:52
    Hi Praan,

I recently joined a community called The Content Forum (it's for folks discussing content strategy) and the software they use is from Mighty Networks.  I was impressed with how easy it is to use and get around, and the software feels very modern (unlike some app that have been around for ages).  Pricing looks extremely reasonable too, and there's a free trial.

Good luck with your search!

Nate

Nathan Gasser
    President & Executive Chef
    Report Kitchen
    :::
    A more delicious way to publish your
    project, policy, and research reports.
    :::
    http://reportkitchen.com

• 3.  RE: Seeking Feedback - Online Community Management Tools

Posted Oct 18, 2019 10:26
    I might be misinterpreting what you mean by Online Community Management. I am thinking discussion forums like this one here if wrong stop reading here.

There are a number of decent discussion forums that plug into Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla websites. Most work well but look awful without doing a lot of work, phpBB is an example. If looks, style, nice UX, and ease of use is important. Try discourse.org; it is currently my favorite. They give a big discount to NPO with tme hosting or you can install it yourself on your own servers for free.

Ellery July
    Saint Paul, MN

• 4.  RE: Seeking Feedback - Online Community Management Tools

Posted Oct 18, 2019 10:34

Hello!
    There are a ton of community management tools out there; it all depends on what your goals and priorities are for the community! One resource that I've found really helpful is a LinkedIn group called "Community by Association":
    https://www.linkedin.com/company/community-by-association/
    They write a lot about online community success factors, processes, technologies, skills... very useful stuff!
    Hope that helps!

Carissa Dougherty
    Head of Knowledge Management
    Downers Grove, IL

• 5.  RE: Seeking Feedback - Online Community Management Tools

Posted Oct 18, 2019 16:31

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. Ellery, you're exactly right, it's online discussion forum (type things) that I'm looking into. I'll definitely be looking into Discourse, as well as the Mighty Networks offering (thanks Nathan!), and checking out that LinkedIn group (thanks Carissa)

Cheers,

Praan

Praan Misir
    Project Officer
    Toronto, ON