Discuss

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

• 1.  Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

Posted Jan 11, 2019 13:13

Hi! I'm Julia, a first year masters student in the School of Information at the University of Michigan.

I am working on a project to redesign education of digital literacy for formerly incarcerated individuals. My team is narrowing down our scope right now, and we're seeking the insights of those who have worked with this population.

If you have anything to share, please let me know! Any information will be valuable and help us work towards our goal. My email is dinotoju@umich.edu if you'd like to contact me directly.

Thanks in advance! :) 

------------------------------
    Julia

• 2.  RE: Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

Posted Jan 13, 2019 17:21
    You might want to contact this organization: http://miguelcontrerasfoundation.org/. They have an apprenticeship program for formerly incarcerated people.

Also, and at least tangetially related to your topic, this electronics recycling center directly employs formerly incarcerated folks.

Joe Newlin
    j@vsbly.org
    vsbly.org
    Gainesville FL

• 3.  RE: Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

Posted Jan 15, 2019 08:52
    Thank you, Joe! That is extremely helpful. We will absolutely be reaching out to the groups you've suggested.

Julia Dinoto

• 4.  RE: Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

Posted Jan 14, 2019 16:59
    You may want to reach out to Daniel Geiter, Ph.D. who opened the Susan M. Sanders RSM Teaching and Learning Center to serve this population. He overcame his own incarceration through education, attaining his doctorate degree before opening this center in Chicago.  Dgeiter@wardfoundation.org. here is the story on the founding of the center Sister of Mercy answered his cry for help; now ex-offender repays gift of redemption
    chicagotribune.com remove preview
    Sister of Mercy answered his cry for help; now ex-offender repays gift of redemption
    For felon Daniel Geiter, mercy opened the door to his future. If it hadn't been for a Roman Catholic Sister of Mercy who answered his cry for help eight years ago, Geiter believes he never would have had an opportunity to redeem himself. Sister Susan Sanders, then vice president for mission at St.
    View this on chicagotribune.com >

you can reach him at

Sandy Goetzinger-Comer
    Director of Communications
    Sisters of Mercy
    Omaha, NE

• 5.  RE: Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

Posted Jan 15, 2019 08:55
    Sandy,

We've found it challenging to connect with formerly incarcerated citizens directly, so this is very helpful! We'll be reaching out to Mr. Geiter soon - thank you for giving us the connection!

Julia Dinoto

• 6.  RE: Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

Posted Jan 14, 2019 20:09

Hi Julia!

I'm a graduate of UMSI ('10) and did a project focused on the formerly incarcerated during my time there. I'm not sure if they're still around, but we worked the Michigan Prisoner Reentry Initiative (MPRI) as our primary stakeholder. Other stakeholders included:

The Department of Corrections (www.michigan.gov/corrections)
    Public Policy Associates (www.publicpolicy.com)
    Michigan Council on Crime & Delinquency (www.miccd.org/wp/)

If you haven't already, you may also want to reach out to the UM School of Social Work. I took a few courses there during my time as a UMSI student and found the students and professors to be valuable resources for our project.

Finally, another group worth considering is Community Voice Mail. I believe they used to be based in Seattle and may have rebranded into a new organization, but it might be worth looking at the overlap between the group they serve(d) and your population.

Wishing you well with the project!

All the best,

Meico

--
    Meico Marquette Whitlock
    Speaker and Trainer on Mindfulness + Technology
    Mindful Techie
    @amindfultechie

• 7.  RE: Seeking people who have worked with formerly incarcerated citizens for a brief conversation!

Posted Jan 15, 2019 08:50
    Meico,

Great to meet a UMSI alum through this forum! I'm an MSI student specializing in User Experience Research & Design - small world! I appreciate your help and will absolutely be using the resources you've provided us with.

Thank you so much!

Julia

Julia Dinoto