Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Recommendations for web-based form

• 1.  Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 21 days ago

Hello,

Hope that you all are staying safe and healthy in the midst of these challenging times

We're working with a nonprofit that collects a small set of quantitative data from ~30 organizations a few times a year. They are currently using SurveyMonkey, which works OK, but not great.

Curious if this group has recommendations for web-based forms with the following properties:
    - Allows users to save their work and return to it later
    - Includes validation between fields (i.e. if a user enters 30 as the total number of clients, all related fields must total 30)
    - Provides a copy of the submitted answers after submission

Right now, the best option we've found is Qualtrics. We're curious if there are other options that don't come with a $5K annual price tag.  We're looking at options like Airtable, and figured this group would have helpful advice to offer.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Corey Newhouse
    Founder and Principal
    Oakland, CA
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 20 days ago
    Hi Corey,

Your client should consider creating a simple fillable PDF form to provide to the ~30 organizations. The organizations can save the form to their workstation and edit/save as needed. When completed they click the submit button on the form and the form is submitted to your client.

Your client can acquire a cloud-based document management software (DMS) which will probably run them $2,000 annually for licensing subscription. The DMS can receive the electronic form from the organizations and even automatically route/notify specific users within their organization upon receipt.

The metadata fields from the Form can be linked to SQL database (within DMS) and excel-style reports can be automatically generated providing your client with all of the captured data from the form submissions.

Copies of the form would be stored within the DMS for future retrieval.

More importantly the DMS solution can be utilized for many other document based needs within the organization without necessarily requiring additional costs.

Happy to chat further if you/client are interested in considering the concept.

K. Howard Enterprise Solutions LLC
    Kyle O'Donnell
    President
    973-866-7366
    kyle@khesolutions.com
    www.ademero.com

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 20 days ago
    Hello Corey

Yeah, time like this hope everyone is keeping safe and trying to help everyone around in whatever way one can. We have helped many Non-Profits with the above case where we have developed such web-based forms and as per the need or our clients and more very cost-effective and scalable solutions with such web-based forms. Get in touch where we can speak more and I can walk you through it. Currently, in time like this, we are providing 2 weeks of free consultation and support on all the IT and Tech-based need organization has.

My contact details are below and look for forwarding to speaking with you and please let me know if anyone needs any kind of support we respond back within 12 hours.

Ujjwal Shukla(DJ) – Business Manager

DAMCO

Ensuring Success. Always

Direct Line: +1 609 439 4350

Mobile: +1 612 707 3017

Email: ujjwals2@damcogroup.com

Ujjwal Shukla
    Business Manager
    Princeton, NJ

• 4.  RE: Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi Corey,

I recommend you check out LimeSurvey. It's an open-source survey tool that has varying pricing (including a free version) depending on your needs. All of the package options include conditional logic and the ability to view answers upon submission. LimeSurvey can also be integrated with your website so the user has a seamless experience in filling it out.

Depending on what your website is built on, I also recommend you check out the Drupal Webform module. Drupal is an open-source content management system. The Webform module is really powerful and can do everything you listed above that you want to be able to do with your surveys. A great benefit of using Drupal is that you could then immediately do really interesting things with the webform submissions, such as graphically displaying results on your website, or even turning the webform submissions into content on your website. Lots of options. This would require more training upfront, but with the right training and support, it is definitely something that your team could manage on your own. This way, you end up getting a lot more potential with your investment... much more than just a way to distribute a survey and collect results.

Happy to talk more.

Gena Dellett
    Operations Manager
    gena@skvare.com
    620-877-7496
    Skvare, LLC
    https://skvare.com
    Lawrence, KS

• 5.  RE: Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 14 days ago
    We use FormAssembly, mostly because it integrates with Salesforce.  It also has a number of other integrations.  It has a pretty flexible and intuitive form building interface.  You can link directly to the forms or embed them into your website.

There are several different product plans at different prices.  The lower levels are not particularly expensive.  And they offer a bit of a nonprofit discount.

I don't think it has a way to save forms and come back to them later.  But you should check their specifications.

It does let you do some complex validation.  I don't know offhand if it can handle your specific case of comparing to the sum of several other fields.  But if not, you can add in javascript (and CSS), which gives you almost infinite flexibility.  That means you need a javascript developer, but FormAssembly gets you most of the way there, so you probably won't need to add much javascript.

It has a bunch of different ways to handle the results -- sending an email, adding to a spreadsheet, and more.  And you can use multiple handlers on the same form.

So I don't know if that meets all your needs, but it might be worth checking out.

Joe

Joe Blodgett
    IT Manager
    San Francisco, CA

• 6.  RE: Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi, Corey-

We've used Formstack for five plus years, usually embedding the form into our website but occasionally as a hosted form. We have the option to let users stop and return to complete later, validation between fields, option to send all or some of the data in email or PDF attachment. For multi-page forms, you can validate fields as you go or validate all fields before submitting. For our really complicated forms, that let's people fill out what they can and then go back to any part of the form later after gathering additional information.

Alison

Alison Hinchman
    Director of Digital Engagement and Acquisition
    Washington, DC

• 7.  RE: Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 13 days ago
    Thanks for the suggestion, Allison! We'll check it out.

Corey Newhouse
    Founder and Principal
    Oakland, CA

• 8.  RE: Recommendations for web-based form

Posted 13 days ago
    Since someone mentioned a Drupal-specific option, I'll throw out a WordPress one!

If your site is in WordPress, I'd strongly consider using Gravity Forms. They offer a Save & Continue feature, and there are also a lot of 3rd-party tools for adding features like submission previews.

I don't know of any form tool that would support the inter-field validation feature you require, but I know that Gravity Forms makes it possible to build that with custom code, so you could potentially have a developer offer both client-side validation (in the browser with JavaScript) and server-side validation for that requirement.

Gravity Forms also includes a Survey add-on that provides some basic reporting features in the dashboard, but I suspect you'd likely prefer to just get the CSV export and go from there.

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA