Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Workflow Approval Solution

• 1.  Workflow Approval Solution

Posted Dec 10, 2019 07:47
    We are currently researching solutions for managing cross Department approvals during a workflow process. This need is less about the actual task management as it is for transparency and audit trail of approvals for cross organization coordination requests.  One of the basic requirements we've collected in initial discovery is the need for user configured approval routing, along with visibility of supporting artifacts with the approval request.  Dose anyone have experience with a platform to fullfill this need?  We are exploring Microsoft "Flow" (now Power Automate) and JIRA to date, looking for other candidates.

Thanks for your suggestions!

------------------------------
    Eli Hertz
    VP IT
    United Services Organization (USO)
    Arlington , VA
    703-964-6288
    ehertz@uso.org
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Workflow Approval Solution

Posted Dec 10, 2019 08:00
    Hi Eli,

Are the workflows/approvals regarding documents or non-tangible actions?

K. Howard Enterprise Solutions LLC
    Kyle O'Donnell
    President
    973-866-7366
    kyle@khesolutions.com
    www.ademero.com

• 3.  RE: Workflow Approval Solution

Posted Dec 10, 2019 08:18

Thanks for the question.  At this phase in the discovery I would say "both". There might be use cases where the approval is centered on the document, whereas others perhaps not as frequent that are not associated with a driving document.

Eli Hertz

Vice President, Information Technology

1484326154837_USO

2111 Wilson Blvd., Ste. 1200

Arlington, Va  22201

Office: 703-908-6417

Cell: 703-964-6288

Web: www.uso.org

Facebook www.facebook.com/theUSO

The USO strengthens America's military service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country, throughout their service to the nation.

Download the USO Mobile App  to Find Locations & Programs and Quickly Check In: https://www.uso.org/campaign/mobileapp

• 4.  RE: Workflow Approval Solution

Posted Dec 11, 2019 07:25

We build a wordpress site for our workflow using Gravity Forms and Gravity Flow.  We're mainly using it to deal with internal e-commerce store updates and routing differing kind of accounting approvals.  I'm not in charge of the build but I know it allows for items to be submitted, routed to an approver, then the person doing the work, then back to an approver.  It's all tracked through an audit trail.   It's been something of a CYA saver when my team has gotten complaints about something not being updated and we can point to the audit trail that indicates where the request is sitting for approval or vetting (sadly it's usually in the complainers box).  The forms we use handle both text, calculations and attachments.  It's also been very handy when we have multiple people working on update so we can see who's taken on each item and what's outstanding.

-Andrea

Andrea M. Chempinski, Esq.

Senior Associate Director of Online Services

Direct: 202.507.7608 I Email: achempinski@aila.org

American Immigration Lawyers Association

Main: 202.507.7600 I Fax: 202.783.7853 I www.aila.org

1331 G Street NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20005

• 5.  RE: Workflow Approval Solution

Posted Dec 11, 2019 08:34
    Edited by Chantal Sheehan Dec 11, 2019 11:01
      |   view attached
    You probably saw my other note about Hive. https://hive.com/

I should clarify that we use Citrix ShareFile for document storage and in depth workflow approvals, document collaboration, and audit trails (we are an accounting/back office service provider to nonprofits). So where financial or bank statements must be viewed and approved, for example, by more than 1 person at the client's org, we'll use ShareFile to initiate that workflow and approval.

Hive's approvals are more flexible - they can be applied to either of your use cases I think. Here's a screen shot for you of a task (called an action) and the approval options. Multiple stages of approval can be added to any workflow. Here's more from their help desk on the capabilities: https://help.hive.com/en/articles/2931726-simple-integrated-proofing-approvals

Hive is incredibly robust (also should note it integrates with email and several file storage platforms), and as a small business user I have to say that I'm constantly impressed at the clip at which they are improving the platform to bring together some of the best features of the current industry leaders.

Good luck!

PS. We chose Hive after months and months of research and it has surpassed Slack, Asana, Trello, and others we have tried.

Chantal Sheehan
    Chief of Client Happiness
    Blue Fox
    Melbourne, FL