Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Salesforce/Pardot/Eventbrite Integration

• 1.  Salesforce/Pardot/Eventbrite Integration

Posted Jan 15, 2020 16:53
    Is anyone integrating Salesforce with Eventbrite and then using the information that comes back from Eventbrite into Salesforce to put registrants on a different email path than non-registrants? Eventbrite is no longer recommending the Salesforce connector, and is recommending Zapier. (My understanding is that there is also a Pardot connector, but it provides reporting information only.)

I have a client who would like a detailed end-to-end demo of how a successful integration between the two systems can work, but that is not something that Salesforce has been able to do. My client manages over 300 events a year, and needs to be sure that registrants are dropped into the correct campaigns, as they may be marketed to on several different events over the same period. They also need to understand the extra set-up work they will need to do to create campaigns on the Salesforce side, etc.

Wondering if anyone in this community is doing this already, and if so, what your experience has been.

My client is not interested in leaving Eventbrite at this time. They do not have Pardot but are considering it. They do have Salesforce. They want to be sure everything will work as expected before investing in the solution.

Appreciate any insight you can offer.

------------------------------
    Dawn Briskey
    Vice President of Client Services
    .orgSource
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Salesforce/Pardot/Eventbrite Integration

Posted Jan 16, 2020 12:01
    Edited by Medha Nanal Jan 16, 2020 12:06
    Hi Dawn,

I have worked with organizations in the areas of salesforce integration, specifically for evaluating options and helping set up the integrations. I may be able to show a running demo (however, I will need to speak with a client who has it running, simply because this exposes their data and systems to an outside entity).

My clients' overall experience is this (I am paraphrasing but this is what I have heard from them) : integration brings efficiencies and offers a much more fuller profile into the constituent. It also makes prospecting and cultivation a breeze, because the data is available to fundraisers and development officers without the inefficient, manual import/export. (In fact, many organizations simply did not utilize the data coming from Eventbrite before. It was reviewed and used by Event Management teams and the fundraising and development teams were completely disconnected from a constituent's engagement). Also, further integrating Salesforce with an outbound communications system like Mailchimp, Pardot or Constant Contact is beneficial because you can set up DRIP type campaigns using this data.

However, all the systems mentioned in your post have their own idiosyncracies and knowing those will help develop the best strategy.

I am happy to speak with you. As the full disclosure: I am a consultant (as is evident from my signature). If you are interested, then let's connect via email and schedule a time if necessary.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 3.  RE: Salesforce/Pardot/Eventbrite Integration

Posted Jan 16, 2020 17:00
    We have a few integrations setup from Eventbrite to both Salesforce and Pardot. There are a couple different ways to do that, and a few limitations to be aware of.

First off, my understanding is that the Eventbrite Salesforce connector is deprecated and Zapier is now their officially supported integration method.

There's not much needed in the way of additional setup. All you need to do is plug in valid credentials for the two systems to talk with each other. And I'd recommend creating the campaign in advance that you want contacts to land in, though if you really wanted to there is a trigger and action available to have Zapier create a new campaign in SF when a new event in created in Eventbrite.

Some limitations to understand - when integrating directly with Pardot, email address is the only field available to match up Prospects. When integrating with Salesforce, more fields are available but from a practical standpoint I've found email to be the most viable.

If your Eventbrite event is configured to allow multiple ticket sales while only collecting data from the ticket purchaser (rather than collecting data on each ticket holder), the Eventbrite API sends through duplicate attendee information based on the number of tickets sold. In other words, if Jane Smith purchases 10 event tickets the API sends you 10 Jane Smiths. There's a workaround, but it's a little convoluted.

Our use cases for this have been primarily adding conference registrants into a Salesforce campaign, and enabling a mechanism for our retail show ticket purchasers to subscribe to our email list.

For the former we had Eventbrite send the data directly to Salesforce, looking up a contact by email address, creating a contact if no match was found, and adding them to the Conference event campaign. In Pardot, we then had a dynamic list set up where the criteria is simply that the contact is a member of that CRM campaign, and when picked up on that list they would get our official welcome and thank you for registering message. Same list was also configured as a suppression list on the conference marketing drip campaign, so if we had been bugging them to register then that would cease. FWIW, we could have included an add to Pardot step in Zapier to send them directly into a list there instead. Doing so would have resulted in a shorter delay on the welcome message, but also would have cost one additional task used each time the Zap ran.

For the latter use case, we have the Eventbrite order form set up with a field which enables customers to indicate that they'd like to subscribe to our free email newsletter. When new attendee registers, Zapier evaluates that field so that it only proceeds if the person indicated Yes to that question, and then finds or creates a prospect in Pardot by searching for their email address, and adds that Prospect to a list in Pardot. That Pardot list then triggers automation which sends them our stock welcome message and adds them to the e-newsletter list. In this case we're not sending attendee info directly to Salesforce due to the high volume of retail show attendees translating to high potential for duplicate creation. Just cleaner in this case to export/import using a little more sophisticated logic to identify and match up with existing customers.

Jason Samuels
    IT Operations Manager
    American Craft Council
    Minneapolis, MN

• 4.  RE: Salesforce/Pardot/Eventbrite Integration

Posted Jan 20, 2020 06:23
    Predictive Response built a dedicated Eventbrite <> SF connector this fall. I haven't used it yet, but did attend a webinar and it looked pretty slick. If you have a high volume of event attendees it might be more cost-effective to use Zapier (pricing is tiered and based on # of registrants, so if you are doing many thousands per year could get relatively expensive). Worth checking out, though: https://www.predictiveresponse.com/eventbrite-for-salesforce/

Duncan McGovern
    Portland, ME