Discuss

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

• 1.  Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted Jul 11, 2019 10:42

Dear NTEN Colleagues,

First of all, I want to offer my fervent thanks to everyone who offered information, experience, and suggestions about the three-way integration that I was exploring.

Secondly, I have an update:  right now, it seems like the Salesforce part is a distraction, and should be part of a hypothetical second stage.  Right now, the focus is on two-way real-time integration between the following:

• Office 365 Outlook Calendar

• G Suite Business Calendar

I'd love to hear from people who have done this, especially if they went from individual Gmail accounts to G Suite Business for the first time during the process.

I'd also love to hear from nonprofit professionals who would like to recommend technical consultants who could do the implementation and integration between G Suite and O-365.  It will be even more helpful to recommend consultants who are based in Massachusetts!

Many, many thanks from Deborah

Deborah Elizabeth Finn
    292 Newbury Street
    Boston, Massachusetts, 02115 USA

Email: deborah.elizabeth@finn.com
    Email: deborah_elizabeth_finn@post.harvard.edu
    Phone: 617-958-1959
    Phone: 617-504-8188
    LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/deborah909/
    Pronouns: she, her, hers

I work with mission-based organizations as a capacity builder,
    technical assistance provider, network weaver, and nonprofit
    technology strategist. My purpose is to bring needs and resources
    together in order to ensure the success of programs, goals,
    and missions.

Tech Accelerate

• 2.  RE: Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted Jul 12, 2019 10:54
    I may be a little out of the loop, but is there a reason you couldn't go with Google's "G Suite Sync for Outlook" tool? That's what we're using. https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync

------------------------------
    Sachin Doshi
    Director of Development
    Mental Health America
    Alexandria, VA

Tech Accelerate

• 3.  RE: Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted Jul 15, 2019 09:51
    Hi Sachin,
    I'm assuming this would only work with Windows machines, correct? We are all on macs and we have had struggles making these connections with macs. Deborah, if you are trying to make this happen with Windows, it sounds like there are some good options but if you are using a mac then you may run into some issues.  On a mac, I have found that using the home version of Outlook has the connection with Gsuite & Outlook but other versions do not (it is so weird).

Contessa Siegner
    Sr. Director of IT & Operations
    Proverbs 31 Ministries
    Matthews, NC

Tech Accelerate

• 4.  RE: Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted 28 days ago
    Unfortunately I'm not sure :( It looks like Outlook 2016 for Mac added built-in support? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2017/03/01/outlook-2016-for-mac-adds-support-for-google-calendar-and-contacts/

Sachin Doshi
    Director of Development
    Mental Health America
    Alexandria, VA

Tech Accelerate

• 5.  RE: Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted 25 days ago
    Dear Contessa and Sachin,

Thanks so much for your brainstorming!

The organization is mostly a PC shop, although there's a at least one Mac for photo editing and other branding/marketing/communications tasks.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out if there's any real different between syncing Office-365 Outlook Calendars with different Google products on a PC.  For example, is there a substantial difference between the O-365 Outlook Calendar sync with free Google Calendars, and the O-365 Outlook Calendar sync with G Suite Business?

And if you go with a paid version of G Suite, do you get prompt and helpful support from Google?

There's a lot of information out there online, but what I really want to know about is the real-life experience of relatively small nonprofit organizations.

Many, many thanks from Deborah

Deborah Elizabeth Finn
    292 Newbury Street

and missions.

Tech Accelerate

• 6.  RE: Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted 24 days ago
    Hello Deb

I have been suggesting people use https://github.com/phw198/OutlookGoogleCalendarSync to sync. It is fairly easy to install and works well in  a variety of MS  Windows situations.

Cut and Paste from Github:

Functionality

• Supports all versions of Outlook from 2003 to 2019 64-bit!
    • Installable and portable options - even runs from a USB thumbdrive
    • Synchronises items in any calendar folder, including those shared with you, from
      • Outlook ➡️ Google
      • Outlook ⬅️ Google
      • Outlook ↔️ Google (two-way/bidirectional sync)
    • Includes the following event attributes:
      • Subject
      • Description
      • Attendees (including whether required or optional)
      • Reminder events
      • Availability (free/busy)
      • Privacy (public/private)
      • Colour / category
    • Differential comparison updates only attributes that have changed
    • Customisable date range to synchronise, past and future
    • Frequency of automatic syncs, including push-sync from Outlook
    • Configurable proxy settings, or use Internet Explorer's
    • Merge new events into existing on destination calendar
    • Prompt on deletion of items
    • Ability to obfuscate custom words for privacy/security
    • Option to force items as private in target calendar
    • Syncs recurring items properly as a series
    • Can run unobtrusively in the system tray, with bubble notifications on sync
    • Application can start on login, with delay if required

Ellery July
    Saint Paul, MN

Tech Accelerate

• 7.  RE: Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted 3 days ago
    Dear ellery,

How lovely to hear from you!

I apologize for the lag time in responding - I had some health problems that slowed me down, but am fine now.

This is a great suggestion. I will look into phw198's OutlookGoogleCalendarSync on behalf of the client organization.

Many thanks from your perpetual fan,
    Deborah

Deborah Elizabeth Finn
    292 Newbury Street

and missions.
    Tech Accelerate

• 8.  RE: Ok, whab about two-way real-time integration of G Suite Business Calendar and O-365 Outlook Calendar?

Posted 12 hours ago
    Edited by Ricky Martinez 12 hours ago
    Hi Deborah,

An added avenue for you to look into for a solution to your problem may be: Microsoft Flow. This is a relatively new tool to help automate processes leveraging Microsoft Office 365 and many connectors. This is part of Microsoft's push to enable the "citizen developer" and an element of PowerApps for Microsoft.

There is Microsoft Flow template already created for this scenario and there are many, many more.  You can even create your own personal Flow to connect many of  your other applications (we tend to use between 30-150 depending on the report you read) including Salesforce.  Also, you're able to edit the premade templates you find to add additional 'actions' as well. 

When I speak to nonprofits about common issues or pain points, I have been attempting to really get admins, power-users or the accidental techies aware of Microsoft Flow as this really empowers the user to craft automation on their own! 

Take a look at the screen shot of what it would look like.

Google Calendar to Office 365 Calendar and get a notification:
    https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/a4aedc20a03611e6b35049b86faf1f1c/google-calendar-to-office-365-calendar-and-get-a-notification/

Ricky Martinez
    Customer Success Manager
    TechSoup | https://www.linkedin.com/in/rm-ts

Tech Accelerate