Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Introducing personalities to the mix

• 1.  Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted Dec 17, 2019 17:04

Hi all,

We've been relying on 2 solid email senders: our brand and our director of development. We're looking to add more voices to the mix from our team.

How has your team successfully done this? Do you send certain messages from a specific email account?

We'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
    Michele

------------------------------
    Michele Lunsford
    Silver Spring, MD
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted Dec 18, 2019 09:16
    Hi Michele,

While I don't work at a nonprofit, I did recently receive a gala invitation from the Executive Director of one of my company's nonprofit clients. Their emails normally come from a generic email address, so this one stood out in my inbox. I think there's something to be said for the consistency of the two voices, but if you're having a special event, maybe try a new sender with some A/B testing! I'm definitely following this topic to see what people have to say.

There's a short section in this article from Campaign Monitor that talks about senders, if you're interested: https://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/email-marketing/2019/09/7-items-every-nonprofit-email-should-include/

Thanks for bringing up such an interesting topic!

Sarah Sebastian
    Director of Brand Communications
    Qgiv
    Lakeland, FL

• 3.  RE: Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted 26 days ago
    This link didn't work and I REALLY would love to see what Campaign Monitor has to say on this topic!

Angie Albright
    Director
    Fayetteville, AR

• 4.  RE: Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted 26 days ago
    Hm - it looks like there might be a problem with their blog. There are a few resources I can't access at the moment. Sorry about that, Angie!

Sarah Sebastian
    Director of Brand Communications
    Qgiv
    Lakeland, FL

• 5.  RE: Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted Dec 19, 2019 15:29
    Hey Michele!

I agree with what Sarah had to say.

We've tested an individual name vs company name and an individual name has won on all counts. We've also tested various individual names (mostly around different types of content) and the results have always been about the same, meaning our opens and clicks were about the same regardless of the name on the email. So I would encourage you to test (and share back what you find out!) but for us, it has been a wash.

Good luck!
    Rachel

Rachel Clemens
    CMO
    mightycitizen.com
    Austin TX

• 6.  RE: Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted 30 days ago
    I'll be interested in hearing about your test results too.

In my experience, people engage with organizations and don't know (or necessarily care to know) your individual staff members. They donate to your organization and your cause -- so when you send emails, you want them to come from the brand. Here's an example of one -- this actually came from an organization I support, but I had no idea from the "from" or subject line who it was from or what it was about. (I trashed it without opening it.)

If you feel compelled to use an individual's name, I strongly urge you to add the organization's name also -- even if the whole org name doesn't show up in the recipient's in box, at least part of it is likely to.

My .02.

Best,

Hilary

Hilary Marsh
    Chief Strategist and Principal
    Chicago IL
    hilary@contentcompany.biz

• 7.  RE: Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi Michelle
    I work in this area - I recommend testing.

I have used different emails and then looked at the open rate/click through rate to determine which are the "top" ones.

One of the things I like about using different senders is that you can use different voices and convey different parts of the same message.

For example, I often will send an email to all supporters at the very end of the year from the CFO with a "Last chance for a 20xx tax receipt" It's a great use of the CFO's voice and is different from the other appeals.

All the best
    Ann

Ann Rosenfield
    Toronto, ON

• 8.  RE: Introducing personalities to the mix

Posted 23 days ago

Thanks all! Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. We'll test over the next few weeks/months and let you know how it goes.

Michele

Michele Lunsford
    Silver Spring, MD