Discuss

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

• 1.  It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 01, 2018 14:25
    If you checked your email this morning, you already know that we just opened registration for the 2019 Nonprofit Technology Conference!

As always, we are planning for three days of educational sessions, a bustling exhibit hall, and lots of opportunities to connect with your peers. But I want to know what you love the most about the NTC so we can do more of it!

For those of you who have been to a previous NTC, as well as those who are considering it for the first time:
    1. What are the things you're looking for in a conference that caters to nonprofit professionals using technology in their work?
    2. What are the big challenges you're hoping to solve at the 19NTC?
    3. What are the things you love most, and what should we do more of?

------------------------------
    Lyndal Cairns (pronouns: she/her)
    Membership & Engagement Director, NTEN
    503-272-8751
    lyndal@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 2.  RE: It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 01, 2018 14:28
    When you've been up since 5 am clicking the Refresh Button on the  NTC Registration Page over-and-over until BINGO... the registration link appears and you can get registered. That's just how some NTEN people/fanatics are :-)

• 3.  RE: It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 01, 2018 15:08
    Ha! We were just discussing how you managed to do this year after year. Our money was on "wrote a script to text him when the register button loaded."

Your dedication is seen and appreciated! I look forward to showing you my town! <3

503-272-8751
    lyndal@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 4.  RE: It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 02, 2018 14:40
    Last year was my first NTEN, and I loved it so much I 1) submitted a session for this year 2) got budget approval a month ago to attend 2019 and 3) registered yesterday morning.

What really made this conference stand out is the strong community. The in-person community meetings I attended for Data, Tech Decision Makers, and Women in Nonprofit Tech were the most valuable sessions I had at last year's conference. While the other sessions guide attendees how to deal with a specific problem, those open sessions allowed us to discuss pressing items and crowdsource feedback instantly - plus put a name to the face and voice of people we've been talking with all year.

Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org

• 5.  RE: It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 02, 2018 17:02
    That's fantastic news, @Stephanie Henyard! We'll be running Connect sessions again at 19NTC. Stay tuned for details, and please let us know if you want to get involved with planning them: community@nten.org

Excited to see you in Portland!

503-272-8751
    lyndal@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 6.  RE: It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 10:57
    This would be my first NTC and I am very excited!

I do have a logistical question: is there a description for what the NTC party (on that Thursday) involves? Since it's an extra cost, I'm trying to get approval for all of my expenses upfront. Alternatively, can I buy a party ticket separately after I register for the conference?

What are the things you're looking for in a conference that caters to nonprofit professionals using technology in their work?
    I think I'm looking for solutions to tech problems that aren't solved by more general events. I've been to a variety of data-focused events, but that are geared towards organizations with big data and machine learning and algorithms. Or tech solutions that are meant for large organizations with thousands of employees. From what I have experienced on the discussion boards so far, there are more people here who are in similar boats to myself.

What are the big challenges you're hoping to solve at the 19NTC?
    Technology adoption and strategy.

What are the things you love most, and what should we do more of?
    I don't know yet since it's my first time, but I am already excited.

Keisha Carr (pronouns: she/her)
    Systems Support Associate
    Bainum Family Foundation
    Bethesda, MD

• 7.  RE: It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 09, 2018 11:03
    Looking forward to seeing you, @Keisha Carr! Jumping in to quickly answer your logistic questions.

There will be more information posted on the NTC website about the party (you aren't missing anything, but it'll be up soon). The party will be at OMSI (the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) and it will be really fun! There's always food, drinks (non-alcoholic and alcohol), fun activities, etc. And since it is at OMSI you'll also have access to some of the exhibits etc.

You will be able to register for the party separately later if it isn't part of your purchase when you initially register.

Thanks!
    Amy

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 8.  RE: It's your NTC. What do you want to see?

Posted Oct 10, 2018 08:15
    Greetings, web warriors and all who venture into the NPtech world!
    So this time the CEO has approved funding for me to go, (in theory.) We'll see what happens next!  I love the fact that my job didn't exist 10 years ago, and finally the world has caught up to my skills set.  Of course, this means that #19NTC and NTEN is my true home, where all are accepted, valued, and thrive!

For anyone who is going: no matter your skill or experience level, there is something to learn from everyone. Take advantage of this opportunity --- make notes (trying a new style if you like!) and see what you can learn on a deeper level, even if you think you know a lot about the topic already.  AND share what you know with others. We all learn best from each other as teachers, and you can have a huge impact on someone else by sharing what has succeeded, but especially what has failed!

What are the things you're looking for in a conference that caters to nonprofit professionals using technology in their work?
                a. Coffee.  b. expanding my knowledge.  c. sharing what I know that can be utilized cross-platform and cross-organizations.  d. making new friends while seeing the old!  (like the old Girl Scout song)  d. how to keep a nominal amount of sanity when "wearing multiple hats."

What are the big challenges you're hoping to solve at the 19NTC?
               a. Team building activities that work.  b. "throwing the elephant upwards" (managing up)   c. 21st Century tools and techniques to solve everyday problems, including the latest automation tools.  d.  Continuous updates to best practices for emails for the NP sector.

What are the things you love most, and what should we do more of?
                a. Coffee, of course, and thank you for the #18NTC coffee stations everywhere!!!   b. Amy's speech that we may leave sessions or enter sessions at will, without judgment! (thank you, BTW for that!)  c. Meeting folks in person from the online community.  d. listening to the current and upcoming trailblazers!  e. Feeling accepted with my eccentricities intact.  f.   learning, learning, learning!​​

Tricia Maddrey BakerSocial Media/Communications ManagerBethesdaMD
    pronouns she/her
    Always Moving Forward