Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Giving Day for your org?

• 1.  Giving Day for your org?

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi and Happy New Year!

Does your organization have its own giving day (an annual event when you encourage your supporters to donate)? If so, do you work on it? Were you involved in establishing it?

Thanks so much for your input,
    Gaby

------------------------------
    Gaby Gollub
    Manager, Online Marketing
    World Wildlife Fund
    Washington, DC
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Giving Day for your org?

Posted 18 days ago
    Hello Gaby! My org had its first ever Giving Day last year...  The task was handed to me and I had *zero* clue on how to best go about it. I made a lot of mistakes, but overall we beat our goal (50 new monthly donors - we signed up 63!). I can share the report with you if you'd like.

To summarize:
    • We paid for a local TV/Radio outlet to cover us for the day. I was disappointed with the support they gave us prior to the event (ie. what time were we going to be on air, for how long, how many segments, etc.).
    • We didn't promote the event on social media, in our newsletter or in our emails - we will do that next year.
    • Volunteers were used to help man the phones - this worked well.
    • We scripted the interviews and lined up some great animal stories and talking points.
    • We did a behind-the-scenes look at our veterinary clinic, with an interview with our Chief Veterinarian. This was extremely well received.
    • It was a long day: radio started at 4am on site and we had camera crews here until 7pm.
    • We didn't encourage people to drop by to do actionable things - I am planning for this next year (ie. make cats toys).

Michelle Tribe
    Manager: E-Giving & Integration
    Ottawa, ON

• 3.  RE: Giving Day for your org?

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Michelle,

Congrats on your first Giving Day! Sounds like a great success in terms of new monthly donors and lessons learned. I really appreciate all the info you shared.

Best,
    Gaby

Gaby Gollub
    Manager, Online Marketing
    World Wildlife Fund
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Giving Day for your org?

Posted 2 days ago
    Edited by Kevin Smarts 2 days ago
    Hi Michelle,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are considering organizing a similar event just right now and your input is very helpful. Will share some of the points with my colleagues.

Thank you

Kevin Smarts
    Community manager
    Datastical