Discuss

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Sharing video with off-site attendees

• 1.  Sharing video with off-site attendees

Posted Jan 17, 2018 09:21

My group has a monthly meeting with a 50-60 minute speaker who uses PowerPoint.  We are thinking of offering these talks to people who cannot attend.  This could be live, recorded, or both. We are in the very beginning stages of analyzing the options and benefits. The location has high speed internet, but they do not offer us any video equipment, so it will be up to us. 

There are so many options that I'm not sure where to start. The podium is in the opposite corner from the door, so I won't want to interrupt the meeting by popping up there and turning things off and on, if possible.  Purchasing a new camera is not an option, unless it was very reasonable.

I'm open to any ideas. 

Thanks!

--
    Cheryl Hanback
    Web Strategist
    Kansas City
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Sharing video with off-site attendees

Posted Jan 17, 2018 09:50

I go to meetups that live stream through YouTube using a cell phone camera on a tripod. Sometimes it's hard to see the slides. It's almost better to focus on the slides rather than the speaker. But it's nice to feel like you're participating live.

Another option is Camtasia. You can record the slides and audio from the laptop. It's very easy and looks more professional, but it's not a live stream.

Would be very interested in what others are doing to share presentations, live or recorded.

Cheers!

Dori

--

Dori Kelner, MS | Managing Partner

Sleight-of-Hand Studios LLC

dmkelner@sohstudios.com | 703.758.7178 | http://www.sohstudios.com

Get Relevant. Be relevant. Stay relevant.

strategy - design - web - photography

• 3.  RE: Sharing video with off-site attendees

Posted Jan 18, 2018 11:12

1 - if you're not concerned about the camera and video, but just the presentation - you can always share/post the PowerPoint files on Google, your website or other accessible places - though you might want to consider converting to PDF for people who cannot view PowerPoint - can also email the file to registered attendees to follow.  Many webinars I attend make the slides available in PDF.

This is probably lowest cost method - attendees can follow along

2 - for live streaming things like GoToMeeting/Webex etc.  allow you to share a computer screen with attendees - they can call in - listen and see what is displayed on the computer - you don't have to have video/camera for that

Stuart F. McClain, CPA (Inactive)

Controller

Regional Access Project Foundation

(760) 674-9992

41550 Eclectic St. Palm Desert, CA 92260

• 4.  RE: Sharing video with off-site attendees

Posted Jan 25, 2018 18:38
    Our office uses Zoom for conferencing, and we've actually used it to cover this exact scenario. Set up a video conference meeting and send out the link to allow remote attendees, then screenshare the slides and hit Record. Files are saved to the local machine in mp4 with great compression at the end of the meeting. If you have a mic on the presentation machine and high-speed internet, I'd recommend that route.

------------------------------
    Stephanie Henyard
    Information Technology
    Society for College and University Planning
    www.scup.org
    ------------------------------