Discuss

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Capacity Building Tools with a Racial Equity lens

• 1.  Capacity Building Tools with a Racial Equity lens

Posted Feb 25, 2019 09:57
    Edited by Joshua Peskay Feb 25, 2019 11:36
    A colleague of mine here in NYC asked me if I had knowledge of capacity building tools within the tech community that have a DEI (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) lens.

An example they gave me of such a tool is this: https://centerformediajustice.org/resources/narrative-stress-test/.

I also suggested that they take a look at Roadmap Consulting's resources in this area.

LMGTFY turned up this resource, but I'm not familiar with this organization or the quality of its resources. https://www.racialequitytools.org/home

If any of the wonderful folks in this community can share some additional (especially highly recommended) resources in this space, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks!

Thanks!

-Joshua

------------------------------
    Joshua Peskay
    Vice President
    RoundTable Technology
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Capacity Building Tools with a Racial Equity lens

Posted Mar 22, 2019 14:34
    Thanks for sharing this question here! Would love to hear if folks have other ideas.

Are you looking for tools that increase staff capacity around racial equity? Or looking for tools that integrate racial equity lens into how they operate? I see them as similar but different. The first would be things like the Crescendo Slack App that puts DEI training content into slack for staff; while the second would be equity-centered strategic planning models, for example. Tagging in @Heidi Massey and @Julia Smith to share anything that came up in last week's Chicago event specific to strategic planning.

Thanks
    a​​

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO, NTEN
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 3.  RE: Capacity Building Tools with a Racial Equity lens

Posted Mar 22, 2019 15:01

Thanks for tagging me, Amy.

I have a spreadsheet that is filled with anti-oppression/racial equity tools.

Awake to Woke to Work is so aligned with how orgs need to do this work. Not sure if they have specific tools, but I sure would want to read their info any time I do racial equity work.

I also think that Tema Okun's 15 characteristics of white supremacy that show up in our institutions is fundamental to ever doing any work at nonprofits.

In terms of additional tools on the spreadsheet, would pay special attention to the work of Aorta. They just get it. Dismantling Racism is also full of great concrete stuff. But there are so many other great tools on the list as well as sites that aggregate tools/resources/info like Racial Equity Tools that you listed.

Joshua, you listed some great ones. 

And Amy, I think you asked just the right questions to frame this up right.

Not so sure we have specific tools that were discussed at the conference itself. But we do have this resource page on our website and will be adding to it in the next week or so.

Thinking that this probably has most people's eyes glazing over so this is more than enough to start. Happy to provide more guidance if needed.

Heidi Massey
    Chicago, IL
    heidi@communityconnective.com