Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Book recommendation: Start Finishing by Charlie Gilkey

• 1.  Book recommendation: Start Finishing by Charlie Gilkey

Posted Sep 25, 2019 20:22
    Charlie Gilkey's book "Start Finishing" was released yesterday. Those of you in Portland OR may have seen a flurry of press about it, since that's his home turf. I wouldn't call this a productivity book. I think it's more real than any productivity book I've read. It's perfect for an NTEN audience because it focuses on projects, doing your best work, getting past thrashing, using a project pyramid model to consider your capacity and not underestimate your time demads. I love this book. I bought a hardcover copy, an Audible copy, and gave one to a friend. I'd love to circle around it for a discussion with other willing readers.  Check it out on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1683642635/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's part of the description:

Start Finishing presents a 9-step method for converting an idea into a project by addressing the challenges you'll face and getting the project on a reality-based schedule.

The book will teach you how to:

• Practice the five keys that lead to self-mastery
    • Build your success pack of supporters, guides, peers, and beneficiaries
    • Keep working through the thrashing that comes with any project that matters to you
    • Chunk, link, and sequence your ideas down to doable parts
    • Use the Five Project Rule to prioritize your daily schedule and be at peace with the work you choose not to do
    • Fly through drag points―how to deal with head trash, no-win scenarios, and other people's priorities
    • Heatmap your schedule so you do the right work at the right time
    • Overcome cascades, logjams, and tarpits―the three ways projects routinely get stuck
    • Finish strong―celebrate, review, and ride the momentum to your next goal

You are not incapable, wired to struggle, or fated to be unable to get your act together. With a few key steps, you can change the way you show up, how you plan, and how you respond when things get tough.

You can Start Finishing the work that matters most to you.

If you get it, I'd love to connect with you about what you think about the methods and framework.

------------------------------
    Barbara Gorzinski
    Tacoma, WA
    ------------------------------
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline