Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Grants Management App Consultant

• 1.  Grants Management App Consultant

Posted Jan 30, 2018 10:20
    I was recently contacted by a former client contact asking about grants management applications. He has moved to a new association, so I am not fully versed on that organization. He would like to get a read on their current situation, i.e., whether the application they are using is the best match for their needs, and if so, are they making full use of that application. This is not an area of expertise for me, but I offered to query the NTEN group on who he might contact. If you've worked with a resource in this area that you'd recommend, I'd appreciate the input. If you are a consultant with experience in this area, feel free to also provide your contact information.

I'm happy to receive recommendations here or via email at Tom@LehmanConsulting.com

Thanks!

Tom

------------------------------
    Tom Lehman
    CEO
    Lehman Associates
    Alexandria, VA
    Tom@LehmanConsulting.com
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Grants Management App Consultant

Posted Jan 31, 2018 07:33
    Hi Tom, I've not looked at grant management systems in a long time bit when I did, Idealware.org had a guide that mentioned a range of systems and described their features.  They probably have an updated version that might be a helpful place to start if your client is looking for a starting point on what's out on the market and how their current system stacks up.  Also, many states/major cities have a local consortium of grantmakers, which might be another good resource if your client would prefer to talk with other users.

• 3.  RE: Grants Management App Consultant

Posted Jan 31, 2018 08:09
    A starting point is the Technology Affinity Group (TAG). See tagtech.org and go to Public Resources for the guide to grants management systems.

• 4.  RE: Grants Management App Consultant

Posted Jan 31, 2018 09:36
    I do this work pretty regularly, helping foundations and other grantmakers assess their grant management software and processes (and their entire data infrastructure, if desired) and plan out upgrading or migrating to new systems. I'll ping you by email as well.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 5.  RE: Grants Management App Consultant

Posted Jan 31, 2018 10:22
    Hi Tom!

@Robert Weiner might have answers for you, or might be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers!

Ben​

Ben Martin
    Chief Engagement Officer
    Online Community Results
    Nashville, TN

• 6.  RE: Grants Management App Consultant

Posted Jan 31, 2018 12:21
    Thanks, Ben.

Tom -- I'd be happy to chat with your client.

Robert

Robert L. Weiner Consulting
    San Francisco, CA
    415/643-8955
    robert@rlweiner.com
    www.rlweiner.com
    Twitter: @robert_weiner

Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions

• 7.  RE: Grants Management App Consultant

Posted Jan 31, 2018 13:51
    Thanks Janice, Ben, and Jeff for the suggestions (I should have thought to just ping you directly!) and for the info you sent by email, Issac. Good to reconnect with you, Robert. We spoke about donor management systems a few years back. I am aware of the Idealware report; my client is not quite ready for that as yet.

I'll pass along a few names and contact points, and he will follow-up directly. I'm just helping out by rounding up a few names and leads.

Thanks

Tom

Tom Lehman
    CEO
    Lehman Associates
    Alexandria, VA