Discuss

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Share your December Events!

• 1.  Share your December Events!

Posted 22 days ago
    This thread is for sharing upcoming events, learning opportunities or online sessions for December 2018!

9OkwAYxNSpCEJwV59GZn_DecemberEventsFEAT.jpg

------------------------------
    Kristy Hayter
    Associate Manager, Digital Marketing
    Covenant House Vancouver
    Vancouver, BC

• 2.  RE: Share your December Events!

Posted 12 days ago

We have a few webinars left to close out the year at TechSoup in December! To register, you can visit our website at Community Events and Webinars.

12/10 Q&A: How Can Nonprofits Utilize Remote Tech Support

12/11 Payroll for Libraries and Nonprofits: 2018 Laws That Affect You

12/17 How to Get Nonprofit Office 365 Cloud Subscriptions

Happy December,
    Sima

Sima Thakkar

• 3.  RE: Share your December Events!

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi! A great resource for December events is @Birgit Pauli-Haack's monthly roundup of #Tech4Good webinars. ​

And for live community events you should check out:

And here in Vancouver, Canada we're taking December off. But we've planned a Nonprofit Tech Trends meetup for January 8.  It will feature a series of 10 minute mini-presentations on the top #Tech4Good items to pay attention to in 2019... and we're recruiting presenters!  @Kristy Hayter – want to be a part of the show?

​​​​

Elijah van der Giessen
    NetSquared Community Manager
    TechSoup
    Vancouver, BC

• 4.  RE: Share your December Events!

Posted 12 days ago

image001.jpg@01D3E1D7.4FD84C70

image002.jpg@01D3E1D7.4FD84C70

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018, from 11:30AM to 12:45PM ET, we will present a free webinar:

SIS: An Open Source Evaluation Platform

The Service Information System (SIS) is a subscription-based evaluation platform for NGOs built on open source and free software. It was developed for several reasons - to make evaluations less expensive, to improve privacy and security for vulnerable users, and to radically improve the quality and usefulness of indicators. SIS was launched in September 2018, in partnership with a Canadian network of organizations serving immigrants and refugees. The indicators were screened through a community consultation process, defined according to international metadata standards, and tied to Sustainable Development Goals.

In a previous Humentum webinar (on GDPR), we described how we designed security processes to protect the privacy of respondents. In this presentation, we will focus on open source and free tools that NGOs can adopt in their own evaluation systems:

• Using Office 365 SharePoint to support staff through the entire work flow of an evaluation project;
    • Using DHIS2 as the underlying data warehouse while linking to Power BI for reports and visualizations;
    • Defining measures and indicators that can be analyzed across sectors and organizations;
    • Using interactive surveys to walk NGO staff through the process of creating an evaluation plan and logic model;
    • Using frequent news stories to promote program improvements;
    • Reducing the staff time for final evaluation reports.

Join us on December 11th to learn useful design tips and open source tools for their own evaluation systems.

Panelists:

image003.jpg@01D4859A.0B703DB0

Gillian Kerr, PhD, C. Psych, Founder of LogicalOutcomes

image004.jpg@01D4859A.0B703DB0

Sophie Llewelyn, Researcher with LogicalOutcomes

image005.jpg@01D4859A.0B703DB0

Manolli Ekra, Senior Coordinator, Policy and Research with OCASI

To register for this free webinar: https://goo.gl/NR3X3u

(If you have any problems signing up for this event through our new registration system, you can get help at info@humentum.org).

Please feel free to share this webinar information with others at your organization who may have an interest in this topic.  

Twitter: #CITDWS

image005.png@01D483F9.E0F2F060

• 5.  RE: Share your December Events!

Posted 6 days ago

To wrap up each year, I create a video resource about something besides tech.

In this year's video resource, I'm telling you about the best and worst year in SmartCause Digital's history: Behind the Scenes of the Highs and Lows of a Consulting Business

I'm building upon last year's video, "What I've Learned About Consulting for Nonprofits", especially the last slide from that training:

"Be ready to get knocked on your ass over & over"

As I wrap up 2018 and look back, I can say it's been one of the best years in my business, but earlier in the year I was convinced of the opposite - I thought it was the worst year ever.

Join me for a live video call where I'll give you a behind the scenes look at what happened, what's coming, and what it takes to run a consulting business.

If you've ever considered working for yourself, this is an awesome opportunity! I'll also be answering your questions about consulting for nonprofits.

Register for the video call and submit your questions about consulting here: https://smartcausedigital.com/behind-scenes-highs-and-lows-consulting-business

Yesenia Sotelo
    Digital Skills Trainer & Web Developer
    SmartCause Digital
    @silverbell

• 6.  RE: Share your December Events!

Posted 6 days ago
    Keep it up Yesenia.  Stay in touch.

Kamal Sheikh
    Founder