Discuss

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Raiser's Edge ID's

• 1.  Raiser's Edge ID's

Posted Oct 23, 2018 16:03
    ​Hi there,

I go back and forth on the security of our REID's.  The previous director set a standard to never share them with an outside vendor.  As we know that is the primary key so when we send lists to mailing houses, etc it's easier to include the ID so we can match the records back to RE.

Does anyone have policy or procedure around this?

------------------------------
    Melissa Berrett
    Director of IT
    Oregon Health and Science University Foundation
    Portland, OR

• 2.  RE: Raiser's Edge ID's

Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:38
    Making your primary key unshareable is going to shut you out of every integration, without, imo, substantially changing your security posture for the better.

Now, with RE, there aren't many integrations available, so perhaps you're not tripping over this issue. But this is the first time I've encountered a nonprofit, in nearly 10 years of consulting, that had a policy to not share an id number like this with a vendor. I'm not sure I understand what the security reason would be to avoid this.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 3.  RE: Raiser's Edge ID's

Posted Oct 25, 2018 11:39
    I agree with Isaac.

What risk is the risk here? What would someone do with your constituent ids?

We work with lots of organizations who use raiser's Edge For donor management, but use Greater Giving for their events. Doernbecher for example.

Without the ability to match the RE id to the alternate ID in Greater Giving you make life a lot harder on yourself.

Jon

Jon Bridenbaugh
    President
    Streamline Support Inc.
    Portland, OR

• 4.  RE: Raiser's Edge ID's

Posted Oct 25, 2018 15:13
    Have you considered using Finder Numbers for your direct mail efforts? Those are unique IDs associated with each constituent record. That way you don't have to expose the Constituent ID.

Isaac is correct, all integrations depend on the Constituent ID being shared. The risk is low, since integrations share information securely by using private keys and encryption.

-John

John Siemiatkoski CFRE
    Sales Engineer
    Engaging Networks
    Washington DC
    john@engagingnetworks.net

• 5.  RE: Raiser's Edge ID's

Posted Oct 26, 2018 10:16
    I would include or exclude based on the response vehicle - our newsletter response vehicle asks for donor information with blank lines, so no reason to send the Constituent ID from RE to the vendor for the newsletter mailing. But, I do include the RE ID when we send our larger appeals, i.e. those that utilize variable data, so it can be printed on our response vehicle for easier gift entry.

LaDonna Borth
    Database Administrator
    School Sisters of Notre Dame, Central Pacific Province
    Elm Grove, WI

• 6.  RE: Raiser's Edge ID's

Posted Oct 26, 2018 10:44

Hi There,
    There is no risk in sharing a RE id, and I have always routinely used this as a record locator on all mail appeals.  This helps the entry of the donation mailed back with the reply slip that has a pre-printed ID.

RE ID is only a record locator and is not the true ID.  The System ID is the true ID.  the RE ID field is editable, it is possible to have duplicate ID (perhaps a spouse record or if someone is taking care of relative's finances etc)

Since the RE ID is editable, if ever there was a security issue, you can always just do a mass import and update the RE ID to a new value.
    Hope this helps

Rob

Rob Dickar
    Director Developnment Systems & Strategy
    Safe Horizon
    New York, NY