Discuss

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Classy

• 1.  Classy

Posted Nov 13, 2018 23:34
    Hi,

I sit on the board of a small organization. The ED reached our to me today and said she was looking at Classy as an option to do event management, donation pages and peer to peer fundraising. I'm going to do some more research but I am wondering if anyone has any feedback, good or bad.

Thanks!!!

------------------------------
    Jessica Markowitz
    Director of Finance and Administration
    Pro Bono Partnership
    White Plains, NY
    jmarkowitz@probonopartner.org

• 2.  RE: Classy

Posted Nov 14, 2018 07:14
    Are you using a CRM? Which one? Integration options between your fundraising platform and your CRM will strongly influence your decision about what to use .

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 3.  RE: Classy

Posted Nov 14, 2018 09:21
    I agree with Isaac.  There are several things that will determine what is the best p2p platform for your organization and campaign.
    We put out a guide comparing features of 39 different p2p platforms and you can download it here; The Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Technology Landscape | Cathexis Partners
    Cathexis Partners remove preview
    The Peer-to-Peer Fundraising Technology Landscape | Cathexis Partners
    Never have there been as many software platforms for peer-to-peer fundraising as there are today. So, how do you find the right one for your nonprofit?
    View this on Cathexis Partners >

Feel free to follow up with me at mark@cathexispartners.com if you would like to talk through options.

mb

Mark Becker
    Founding Partner
    Cathexis Partners
    Celebration, FL

• 4.  RE: Classy

Posted Nov 14, 2018 11:22
    Hi Jessica,

I have helped organizations set up/onboard with Classy and also another organization evaluate find another solution to replace Classy. :-)

Classy is a very robust piece of software. The user experience is very well designed and pleasant. Overall, learning curve can be speeded up quite a bit due to its design. It has a very well designed p2p fundraising feature set and that's their sweet spot.

On the downside, it's expensive, and unless there is a clear plan of doing p2p fundraising, Classy might be a bit of an overkill.

Depending on your underlying platform to store data, there are other products available to manage p2p fundraising too. Reach out to me if you would like further information.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 5.  RE: Classy

Posted Nov 14, 2018 16:17
    The processing fee is pretty high. You have to pay two - one to Classy (4%) and the other to WePay (2.2%+$0.30; Add 1% for Amex). It ends up being 6.2%! There is the option to let the donor choose to cover fees, though.

I agree that the interface is easy to use and it's helpful that it can integrate with CRMs.

Christina Schnoor
    Director of Digital Fundraising
    American Near East Refugee Aid
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Classy

Posted Nov 15, 2018 13:40
    Hi Jessica,

We've had some challenges installing custom scripts and tracking pixels and configuring page redirects for our clients on Classy. Does the organization do much Facebook advertising? Their support is helpful, but some options aren't open to users without help from support and there were some scripts that surprised us weren't permitted on donation forms.

Agree with Isaac and other about the CRM integration considerations.

Best,
    Avi

--
    Avi Kaplan
    Director of Project Management, PS Digital
    Production Solutions

T: 703.734.4567
    akaplan@psmail.com
    www.productionsolutions.com

• 7.  RE: Classy

Posted Nov 16, 2018 11:26
    Hi All:

Thanks so much for all of your responses. The ED is anxious to get something going asap for reasons too long to explain here. There is a bigger conversation that needs to be had as to whether our current CRM is the right fit or we need to look at another option. However, while not ideal, we need to put something in place sooner rather than later. The ED is looking at other options and unfortunately I am jammed up with my day job so I am unable to be as involved as I would like to be. Classy has risen to the top of the list as it seems, as someone mentioned, a small learning curve to get up and running. My reservation is the pricing as someone mentioned.

Thanks everyone!!

Jessica Markowitz
    Director of Finance and Administration
    Pro Bono Partnership
    White Plains, NY
    jmarkowitz@probonopartner.org