Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Expense software

• 1.  Expense software

Posted May 26, 2019 12:37
    Edited by Kristen Balash May 28, 2019 11:13
    Hi all, we are moving from one expense software platform to another and my finalists are Certify, Expensify, Rydoo, Nexonia and Chrome River. Any words of caution or glowing recommendations? Like most nonprofits we have to code to projects and grants, which has been a limiting criteria. We also want it to integrate with NetSuite. All of the above do but how well is always a matter of interpretation!

------------------------------
    Kristen Balash
    FSG
    Boston, MA

#FeedbackNeeded #Software​​​
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 27, 2019 13:55
    We're in the process of implementing Expensify and have been very happy and impressed with it. Can't speak to integration with NetSuite.

David Smith
    Director of IT
    California State Parks Foundation
    San Francisco, CA

• 3.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 28, 2019 08:32
    Goodmorning Kristen,

Cannot attest to any of those that you mention. However I have used Concur at length in the past and, after a review of available tools, hope to implement once again.

If you did evaluate Concur, interested to know why it would not be one of your finalists? Interested in your perspective on what makes those you selected part of your top candidates.

Thanks,

Joshua

Joshua Grant
    Controller
    Pathways to Education Canada
    Thornhill, ON

• 4.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 28, 2019 11:12
    Thanks Joshua! Concur was three times the price of most other products, and we literally could not afford it. Even after asking for nonprofit consideration the sales rep was not willing to work with us. So we couldn't even demo it. It was unfortunate. That being said, we have also heard that they are not quite as nimble as other products, and don't allow for as much customization, so I was ok bypassing for now. If none of the others I demo will meet our needs I will go back to take another look.

Kristen Balash
    FSG
    Boston, MA

• 5.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 28, 2019 11:26
    From the NetSuite perspective, when our nonprofits move on from NetSuite's native time & expenses mobile app, they tend to move on to expensify or Concur. Nexonia is also in the mix. All three of these have pre-built integration (http://suiteapp.com/).

I've heard great reviews on all those products & I can also point you to poor reviews. Grant and projects coding tends to drive the variance in the reviews. Mostly you need to confirm the integration will handle however you are coding grants and projects in NetSuite (usually custom segments, custom fields or class/department/location). One of those classic integration challenges where a small technical issue can trip up the customer experience significantly.

Hope that helps,

David Geilhufe
    Senior Director
    Oracle NetSuite Social Impact
    San Mateo, CA

• 6.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 28, 2019 12:15
    Thanks David, I was definitely hoping for a Netsuite perspective! The definition of "integration" seems to vary widely :) Nexonia isn't as well known as the others but seems to have a deep bidirectional API. I am pushing on the client/project segment integration pretty hard as it appears to be the biggest differentiator and to your point, not everyone is able to handle it. It's not a custom segment, but since not every Netsuite customer utilizes that segment it throws some softwares off.

Kristen Balash
    FSG
    Boston, MA

• 7.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 28, 2019 12:57
    Thanks Kristen for the feedback. We did ask for not for profit pricing also and was able to secure some minor discounting but nothing material. On our end Concur is the most reasonably priced. I find that it varies widely based on:

1. Geography - we are in Canada
    2. Rep(s) within different geographies - often reps will give different level of discounts based on their preferences
    3. Saas pricing model - different pricing models are favourable for some customers and not so favourable for others. E.g. solutions for which pricing is driven per submission will be favourable to organisations with less employees

Don't mean to hijack the thread :) But in terms of what everyone looks for in an expense claim solution, is the list below comprehensive? Wondering what I may be missing as part of our search.

-OCR
    -User friendly mobile (on multiple platforms) and desktop
    -Integration with ERP / financial software
    -Integration with banks (for corporate credit cards if applicable)
    -Tax customization functionality (if applicable)
    -Approval workflow
    -Cost

Thanks for the perspective, appreciate it.

Joshua

Joshua Grant
    Controller
    Thornhill, ON

• 8.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 28, 2019 13:44
    Thanks! We have 150 users, but only about 95 active in a given month, and 3000 unique reports per year. Concur priced per report, which ended up being about $30,000 a year. All other software priced per active user, and ended up between $9000 to $18000 per year. Most functionality appeared to be the same - in looking at your list above. Is that helpful?

Kristen Balash
    FSG
    Boston, MA

• 9.  RE: Expense software

Posted May 29, 2019 15:06
    Very helpful to let us know we are on the right track. Thank you :)

Joshua Grant
    Controller
    Thornhill, ON

• 10.  RE: Expense software

Posted Jun 25, 2019 16:29
    Hey David (et al!) Thanks for all the insights - we are contracting with Nexonia this week. David, as you suggested, the biggest factor for us was our segments and which software could handle that piece of the integration. Nexonia was the best fit on that aspect, having a 7-year old bidirectional integration. Expensify had a good integration but could not support project/customer-based filtering the way we needed.

Kristen Balash
    FSG
    Boston, MA