Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

• 1.  Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

Posted Mar 05, 2020 16:14
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Karen Govern and I am the Executive Director of the STARability Foundation in Naples, FL.  We provide programs and services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.  We need to acquire a system for managing our participant (i.e. client) data.  We need a system where we can store contact and demographic data, track participation rates in activities and programs, track data points to demonstrate measurable outcomes and show results in dashboard-style reports.  We'd also ideally like to track grant dollars as they're spent for specific programs.  We operate many different programs and we'd like to track information for each program as well as in the aggregate for the organization.

I would appreciate any recommendations for systems and comments from users who are satisfied with what they are currently using.

Thanks very much,

Karen

------------------------------
    Karen Govern
    Naples, FL
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

Posted Mar 05, 2020 16:49
    Edited by Medha Nanal Mar 05, 2020 16:49
    Hi Karen,

It's great to see you present a comprehensive view into your organization's data needs. Your data needs can be broadly divided into two categories: program data and fundraising data. While the market has a number of fundraising CRM/database systems and tools, there are few CRM's in the marketplace that offer the flexibility and the feature set to help manage your organizations' program data.

Essentially, you will need a database, or a CRM and I would strongly recommend that you work with an expert to set up your initial data model so as to effectively capture your desired information in the database.

Some options you have for managing your program/client data are, in no specific order:

MS Dynamics
    Salesforce
    Simply360
    Neon : I think they were working on a program CRM solution but I'm not sure if it's a released product.

I have worked with organizations to help them select and set up their program CRM systems (in fact I am presenting a session at 20NTC on this topic). In the meantime, if interested, you are welcome to connect with me offline for a conversation related to your needs, pain points, the available approaches and options and their pros/cons.

Hope this helps, and take care.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

Posted Mar 06, 2020 01:55
    Hi Karen,

The human services sector has case management systems that are sometimes quite specific to certain verticals or sub-fields. For disabilities management, you might look at packages like CareDirector (built on MS Dynamics 365), ClientTrack, or, if you're especially large, Micropact.  There's also Exponent, which is a Salesforce package, and Penelope - neither of which are specifically built for disability management, but both of which serve that market within a larger client portfolio. These certainly aren't the only options, and as Medha pointed out, there are some CRMs that might also be suitable for you.

Determining how well the features of each system match your needs, whether on the case management side or on the grant reporting side is a deeper dive. If you're interested in help assessing these options, please contact me directly.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a Call: https://www.calendly.com/sage70/30min

• 4.  RE: Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

Posted Mar 06, 2020 09:25
    Edited by Dave Doligalski Mar 06, 2020 09:32
    Hi Karen,
    There are a lot of CRM systems available, they generally all do what you may want on the fundraising side, some handle grants well, and some handle specific program data with various degrees of success.  
    My organization has implemented a number of solutions in the niche that you are in. These implementations provide mobile-ready data collection at an activity level, typically at every touchpoint between staff/vols and a program participant, providing the ability to summarize these activities for analytics and reporting, including for grant-specific reports demonstrating success.  Our implementations to date have used CiviCRM (which is a great platform for this solution type), but we know that NeonCRM and SalesForce, amongst other tools, are capable.  
    In most cases, it makes sense to have an assessment done as to what specific features and processes you need, how it can be implemented, and how you get "from here to there" which would best drive the ultimate solution you need.
    -Dave

---
    David W. Doligalski
    Managing Director
    We focus on your technology so you can focus on your mission.

• 5.  RE: Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

Posted Mar 06, 2020 09:40
    Edited by Gena Dellett Mar 06, 2020 09:40
    Hi Karen,

The CRM options definitely abound! It's great that you have pretty clear expectations for what you want your system to do. That will make it easier to vet and compare options, since like others have said, some CRMs do X better than Y, etc. I also recommend adding CiviCRM to your list of CRM options to consider. It's an open-source platform, meaning no ongoing licensing fees. It's very scalable with different features that can be enabled over time as your needs grow and evolve. Among other features, it offers Case Management, Activity Tracking, Email Management, Donation Management, and Grant Management. There are many partner technology agencies that specialize in setting up and providing ongoing support for organizations using CiviCRM. This provides security in your initial investment since even if your relationship goes south with a technology provider, your system can be transferred and remain secure and supported.

I'll be co-presenting a session on completing internal tech audits. We'll be providing resources for organizations to evaluate their use of existing tools and readiness for change... all especially relevant when you're looking to setting up a CRM for the first time.

Gena Dellett
    Operations Manager
    gena@skvare.com
    620-877-7496
    Skvare, LLC
    https://skvare.com
    Lawrence, KS

• 6.  RE: Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

Posted Mar 06, 2020 11:32

Hi Karen

The goals that you want to accomplish including data management, participation tracking, and fund management can mostly be accomplished by implementing a CRM. You can go ahead with any of them, but the industry is mainly dominated by Salesforce or MS Dynamics. The good part about both is that they come at a reasonably low cost for Non-Profits. I would suggest you pick one of them as they are the biggest players, yet the cost associated with it will be almost zilch. You may not be able to implement the CRM as is and it may need some small tweaks and customizations for effective use but that holds for any CRM or solution that you would want to implement to meet your needs.

Alternatively, you can get a solution built as per your customized needs and that solution can be integrated with your existing systems. This will cost more and will be time-consuming initially compared to the CRM implementation but in long run, it will be much more cost-effective as you will not have to pay license cost every year, you will own the solution.

In case you need more details, we offer no-obligation Cost-Effective Technology Consulting to Non-Profits. You will get 10 hours of free consultation and can discuss various solutions that you want to implement. Our experts after asking you some basic questions about your company will be able to suggest the solution that meets your needs perfectly.

We can discuss this further over a call or if you are visiting NTC, you can meet me at Booth#641 also you can connect off-line by details are below.

Ujjwal Shukla (DJ) – Business Manager

DAMCO

Ensuring Success. Always

Direct Line: +1 609 439 4350

Mobile: +1 612 707 3017

Email: ujjwals2@damcogroup.com

Ujjwal Shukla
    Business Manager
    Princeton, NJ

• 7.  RE: Recommendations for IT System to Manage Client Data

Posted Mar 06, 2020 19:23
    Hi Karen, you didn't mention it explicitly, but:
    You serve clients with developmental disabilities in an educational setting, and I see job listings for Physical and Occupational Therapists.
    Are you bound by HIPAA and/or FERPA? If so, contact info and demographics are considered Personal Health Information, so you would need documented, auditable HIPAA-compliant systems and processes - unless data is properly de-identified on each & every export/transition between systems. I'm familiar with available systems & practices in the mental health and foster/adoption spaces (and to a lesser degree, social services).

Isaac Shalev's links are a good place to start, I've also had great experience with a Florida-based developer who creates custom client databases.

Winston Berger
    Data Systems Manager
    Berkeley, CA