Discuss

last person joined: 9 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Free-Text Analysis Tools

• 1.  Free-Text Analysis Tools

Posted Aug 22, 2019 13:41
    Hi there,

I wanted to ask if there are certain software tools, or certain feature(s) from a SaaS solution, that you have found fantastic in helping you analyze free-text submission/responses; e.g. free-text Survey Responses, free-text Support Responses, free-text General Feedback responses, etc..

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
    Ricky Martinez
    Customer Success Manager
    TechSoup
    San Francisco, CA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Free-Text Analysis Tools

Posted Aug 23, 2019 10:00
    Hi Ricky,
    Not sure what sort of analysis you're trying to perform, but a couple of free tools came to mind when I read your question:
    • Tone-analyzer - This is an interesting tool.  Personally I like to use it check my own tone when I have a very important or sensitive communication to send
    • Word Cloud Generators - There are bunch of them, free online.  This is an easy way to dump a large collection of survey responses or essay questions into a tool all at once to see what sort of themes or keywords are being mentioned or repeated often. 
    If you're looking for something more sophisticated, I know that there are text analytics services that can connect to Microsoft Power BI and I'm sure Tableau has an identical offering.

Rob Foley
    IT Director - The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis

• 3.  RE: Free-Text Analysis Tools

Posted Aug 27, 2019 17:57
    HI Rob,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread. I have been eyeing the various Word Cloud Generators out there. I'm looking to identify trends quickly, so I am leaning towards a Word Cloud element... but with so many tools, there could be a better way to identify commonalities - sans sentiment - out there.  On the sentiment front, I am look at leveraging Microsoft's cognitive services add-in for Power BI.

Ton-analyzer looks useful . It wasn't on my radar at all. Thank You!

Ricky Martinez
    Customer Success Manager
    TechSoup
    San Francisco, CA

• 4.  RE: Free-Text Analysis Tools

Posted Aug 26, 2019 17:00
    Hi Ricky, Group Solver looks like an interesting tool. I haven't tried it myself, but might be what you're looking for: https://www.groupsolver.com/tools.html

Darya Gorlova
    Director of Client Experience
    Flipcause
    Oakland, CA

• 5.  RE: Free-Text Analysis Tools

Posted Aug 27, 2019 19:22
    Hi Darya,  thank you for replying back to my question.  I'll take a look. What I see so far looks promising - and could cover more than what I was initially searching for.

Thank you!

Ricky Martinez
    Customer Success Manager
    TechSoup
    San Francisco, CA

• 6.  RE: Free-Text Analysis Tools

Posted Sep 06, 2019 08:28

Hey,

Here are the Free-Text Analysis Tools: