Discuss

last person joined: 8 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

files in the cloud - Box vs. Dropbox

• 1.  files in the cloud - Box vs. Dropbox

Posted Sep 26, 2019 09:21
    We are seriously considering ditching our on-prem Linux file server and putting our files in the cloud. Why would you choose Box vs. Dropbox for this? Are there any other solutions you recommend?

------------------------------
    Keith Berner
    Takoma Tech
    301-200-2332
    keith@takomatech.net
    www.takomatech.net
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: files in the cloud - Box vs. Dropbox

Posted Sep 26, 2019 11:37
    Hi Keith,

What are your reasons for ditching the on-prem Linux file server?

Are you only looking for an electronic file repository?

Would you want to convert (as a service) your Linux repository into the new solution or would your users accomplish this manually?

What types of documents will be stored? All departments? Specific ones?

Is there interest in future of running metadata-style reports, automated routing and approval process of documents,  digital signatures or other advanced features (beyond basic file storage)?

Will you want to integrate with Finance/HR/Other softwar​e? Or keep as a standalone solution?

How many total users would need access?

How much storage space is currently utilized within your Linux server for document storage? Primarily PDFs? Or Office docs? Multimedia?

Would your users be accessing via PC? Mac? Mobile?

K. Howard Enterprise Solutions LLC
    Kyle O'Donnell
    President
    973-866-7366
    kyle@khesolutions.com
    www.ademero.com

• 3.  RE: files in the cloud - Box vs. Dropbox

Posted Sep 27, 2019 14:43
    Kyle's Qs are of course sound and important before you get too deep into any decision/planning process, but a quick take on Keith's original Q, my take is (with the caveat that is has been a whole since I assessed Dropbox):

* Box is overall a stronger product than Dropbox (better usability, more integrations available, more sophisticated metadata features, more granular administrative management options, more options for how you want to manage security etc)
    * Egnyte may be worth checking out, as they offer some other features that may be appealing depending on your needs
    * Depending on your collaboration workflows, Sharepoint (ugh) actually has a killer feature right now that no one else has, which is the ability to do simultaneous editing in the desktop version of Word (valuable mainly for people who hate Office online and/or need to view tracked changes)

That last one is a v narrow use case and I have yet to see an org take the usability tradeoffs that Sharepoint demands in order to access it, but it's worth mentioning!
    --
    Lisa Jervis
    Principal
    Information Ecology: Strategic technology for progressive organizations
    https://iecology.org/

My pronouns are she/her.
    I am in the Pacific time zone.

Want to send me encrypted email? My public key is available at https://ecl.gy/lj-gpg.

• 4.  RE: files in the cloud - Box vs. Dropbox

Posted Sep 27, 2019 07:28
    I have used Box.com for almost 5 years as a user and an admin and have never had an issue. The security, ease of use, customer service, mobile app, integrations all work consistently. That said, I haven't used Dropbox so I can't compare. My understanding is that Dropbox doesn't have the same level of functionality, but that's just hearsay.

Jessica Martin
    Operations Officer
    For Pete's Sake Cancer Respite Foundation
    Plymouth Meeting, PA

• 5.  RE: files in the cloud - Box vs. Dropbox

Posted Sep 27, 2019 12:31
    GDrive and OneDrive are relevant competitors you'd want to consider.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 6.  RE: files in the cloud - Box vs. Dropbox

Posted Sep 27, 2019 13:12
    I'm more familiar with Box's Enterprise system than Dropbox for Business, so I don't want to assume much. They both started out as basic file-sharing services, and Box decided, early on, to start going for the business market, so they were pretty far ahead in implementing document management features and might still be. Both have nonprofit pricing. Box.org gives away 10 licenses free and then offers additional at 50% off. I rolled out Box at a 120 person org and it worked very well for us.

Peter Campbell
    CIO for Hire
    Raffa - Marcum's Nonprofit and Social Sector Group
    Washington DC