Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Data migration vendor?

• 1.  Data migration vendor?

Posted Feb 26, 2020 17:05
    Hi,

My org is thinking of migrating data from Oracle to Salesforce. I'm wondering if there are vendors out there that can do an assessment (discovery?) of how much it will take to execute this project (cost and time-wise). Basically, I'm looking for someone who can come in, look at the two systems, talk to us about data mapping, and help us estimate how much this project will cost and how long it will take. Additional context: we have a heavily customized Salesforce org and the data architecture is very different between the two.

Any recommendations for a vendor/consultant?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Wai Khoo
    Senior Project Manager
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Data migration vendor?

Posted Feb 27, 2020 08:53
    Hi Wai,
    I can think of very few things we would prefer to do than help someone migrate from Oracle to Salesforce :- ) and indeed, it is what we specialize in -- helping nonprofits implement, extend, and support their use of Salesforce. Contact me off list at lrau@fionta.com.  Also please consider stopping by the dot org event in Brooklyn that we are sponsoring https://www.salesforce.org/events/dot-org-new-york/ in a few weeks and we can talk in person!

Lisa
    202-296-4065 x. 12

Lisa Rau
    Founder and Chairman
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Data migration vendor?

Posted Feb 27, 2020 17:56
    Edited by Heather Tortorelli Feb 27, 2020 18:57

Hi Wai - 

Sounds like a fun exercise!  There are a lot of firms that do this kind of work (full disclosure - mine, included).  As the data architecture across both instances is quite different, there are some things you'll want to consider as you move forward.  

• It is worth conducting a taxonomy review as part of the assessment.  There may be quite a bit of work that is neither Salesforce nor Oracle related, but data taxonomy related. Tweaks may be needed to fields on the Salesforce side before even attempting to migrate the data.  Or alternatively, you can create taxonomy mappings for field values that may not be exactly the same.
    • Depending on the volume, you may want to conduct the migration through an enterprise level ETL  (e.g., Informatica Cloud or Talend) instead of just relying on custom scripts.
    • In addition to the data mapping that needs to occur, the migration may require the creation of intermediate tables and data field transformations, so you should plan for that. Those may even be hosted in SQL or flat files – your vendor may need a server for that if you don't want your data to leave your premises.
    • Do you need both systems to operate simultaneously or is it a one-time migration?  This would impact the plan.
    • Other factors to be aware of that will impact cost will be the amount of data, how much data cleaning needs to be done (e.g., not moving unnecessary data), and understanding how you want to utilize data that's in Oracle but not in Salesforce.  Then, you want to make sure the firm has a strong process for validating the data migration.  

My firm, Tellenger Inc., does this kind of work and has experience doing many CRM conversions. The hardest part is the data mapping plan and the relationship linking which is probably where you would need the most help.  We'd be happy to do an introductory call with you if you are interested in learning more.  

Good luck!

Heather
    c: 240-731-3535
    e: heather@tellenger.com

Heather Tortorelli
    CEO
    Rockville, MD

• 4.  RE: Data migration vendor?

Posted Mar 02, 2020 14:07
    You can also reach out to your Salesforce account exec to ask for recommendations of Salesforce consultants, many of whom specialize in working with nonprofits.  And of course make sure you ask for someone who has familiarity with Oracle.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend asking in the Power of Us HUB.  It's Salesforce's user community for nonprofits.  It has a whole bunch of very active, very supportive users -- end users, consultants, and Salesforce employees.  I'm sure you could find several recommendations there.

Joe Blodgett
    IT Manager
    San Francisco, CA

• 5.  RE: Data migration vendor?

Posted Mar 03, 2020 09:16
    Hi Wai,

ECHO might be a great fit! ECHO is based in San Francisco, we have offices in Europe as well.   

Below is a quick summary of ECHO's Salesforce services:

• Specialties: Sales Cloud implementations and migrations, Community Cloud, Pardot, integrations with third-party apps, custom API integrations
    • Project and ongoing support engagements available
    • Current clients range in size from 5-150 employees
    • Based in San Francisco, with team members in Bosnia and Ukraine
      • 18-hour work cycle across time zones
      • Coverage during most US holidays and ability to do overnight deployments, resulting in less system disruption and down time for clients
    • 19-person team and growing (mix of project managers, lead consultants, admins and developers).

We will be at NTEN.  Visit us at Booth 456

Best,

Randy

Randy Hyshiver
    Sales Consultant, IT Services
    San Francisco, CA
    rhyshiver@echots.com
    echots.com