Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

• 1.  Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

Posted Oct 08, 2019 15:25
    Hi all -

I work at a small, remote non-profit with a national team. Our full-time team has recently doubled and as a result, we're thinking a lot about how we can set up structures for accountability that encourage open and regular communication among team members but doesn't feel micro-managey and will maintain our culture of trust. Do any folks who are on remote teams or manage remote teams have experience with systems or structures of accountability that have been successful for you?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Aisha Ismail
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

Posted Oct 09, 2019 08:44
    Edited by Janice Chan Oct 09, 2019 08:45

• 3.  RE: Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

Posted Oct 09, 2019 09:17
    Aisha,

A couple of resources for you to consider on this front. We (RoundTable) are a fully distributed team and have been for six+ years.

1) Remote by Jason Fried of Basecamp. Useful book about how Basecamp built and manages its remote work culture.

2) Distributed podcast. A podcast about distributed organizations. For your question, I would specifically look at episodes 7 (Leadership coach Leo Widrich on how distributed workers can build emotional resilience and stay connected) and 9 (Author Scott Berkun on how to manage distributed teams with respect).

3) This one may seem out of left field, Aisha, but bear with me. EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System). You could start with the book, Traction. Yes, this is totally aimed at small, for-profit businesses. But I am seeing a ton of small businesses using this framework as they grow from 5 to 50, which can be a really difficult growth trajectory for organizations. It's a framework for running a business, but can absolutely be applied to nonprofits (here's a short article on exactly that) by simply replacing profit with mission and impact for organization goals, scorecards, etc.

Hope those are helpful, Aisha. Good luck!

-Joshua

Joshua Peskay
    New York, NY

• 4.  RE: Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

Posted Oct 12, 2019 07:42
    Thank you for sharing these resources, Joshua! Really good stuff.

Chantal Sheehan
    Primary Contact
    Melbourne, FL

• 5.  RE: Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

Posted Oct 16, 2019 11:46
    Thanks so much for these resources, Joshua! Eager to jump in.

Aisha Ismail

• 6.  RE: Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

Posted Oct 11, 2019 13:42
    I don't have specific suggestions for you, but a friend of mine who works on an all-remote team recently wrote up this essay on building trust in a remote workplace.  I think she's got some great insights, and perhaps it gives you some ideas for strategies to implement at your org:

How to Build Trust in the Remote "Workplace"

Leana Mayzlina (pronouns: she/her)
    Senior Digital Inclusion Manager, NTEN
    503-272-8743
    leana@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 7.  RE: Accountability Structures at Remote Orgs

Posted Oct 16, 2019 11:46
    Thanks so much Leana! Looking forward to reading her essay.

Aisha Ismail