Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Learning management systems and metrics driven skills building

• 1.  Learning management systems and metrics driven skills building

Posted Oct 07, 2019 12:52
    I'm curious as to what people are using (if anything) for ongoing skills building for their organizations.

Most organizations I work with are still very ad-hoc (at best) on this. For those who have implemented robust skills assessment and training programs, I'm wondering what platforms you use, how much you like them, how much they cost, any best for nonprofits, etc?

Udemy is my current default recommendation, with pricing around $200/year/staff for Team plan and $300-$400/year/staff for enterprise (where you can add your own curriculum).

Requirements vary from org to org, but my basic requirements for any LMS would be roughly as follows:

• Training library of all basic office applications (G Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.)
    • Ability to do skills assessments
    • Ability to assign training programs
    • Metrics around training completed, skills demonstrated
    • Ability to add custom trainings for specialized applications, organization procedures, policy, etc.

Anyone using something they are happy with here? Other than Udemy?

Appreciate any and all input.

-Joshua

------------------------------
    Joshua Peskay
    Vice President of Technology Stratefy
    joshua@roundtabletechnology.com
    www.roundtabletechnology.com
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Learning management systems and metrics driven skills building

Posted Oct 08, 2019 11:05
    We did a selection for an org a while back, identifying two low-cost options. http://www.aktivmind.com and https://www.talentlms.com were the two we liked, but neither came with training libraries. I'm curious though, about the importance of training libraries for Office in particular. I've found that it's been effective to create micro-lessons for the specific procedures or skills in use at the org. For those employees who really want/need professional development in something like Excel, it's pretty easy to buy that elsewhere. I get the convenience of having the content and the function together though.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 3.  RE: Learning management systems and metrics driven skills building

Posted Oct 08, 2019 11:54
    We're just starting to explore this at The Trust for Public Land. Not anywhere near complete yet but we use Jira (on-premise, free for nonprofits) for issue management and service desk so we're going to test LearnUp for Confluence because it looks interesting and would be within the same platform. If anyone else has experience with LearnUp we'd love to hear your thumbs-up/thumbs-down.

We also recently discovered Microsoft Streams which is, I think, included with the relatively low-level Microsoft Office 365 enterprise licenses. It's not an LMS but allows you to upload a video and it automatically produces a text transcription indexed to the video, which is searchable. So, while we don't have our full ideal training suite launched, this is a neat way to at least share simple video tutorials.

Mike Fischer
    Director of Philanthropy Operations
    San Francisco, CA

• 4.  RE: Learning management systems and metrics driven skills building

Posted Oct 14, 2019 12:48
    We worked with TechSoup to create the Digital Skills Center for Nonprofits that provides short, product-based training that is contextualized for nonprofits. At the moment we have Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams training - with Power BI and others on the way soon. The introductory (100-level) courses are free, while the 200-level courses have a nominal fee.

Apurva Chandra
    Program Manager
    Redmond, WA