Discuss

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

• 1.  Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 17, 2019 11:01
    I am in desperate need of guidance
    My tiny nonprofit flower farm wants to create a Valentine's Day card campaign where folks make a donation in someone's honor and can choose among 3 different card designs to be sent to the honoree. We use Salsa and there does not seem like a way to make this happen. I am looking for other tools, software, consultants, freelancers that might be able to make this happen in a very short timeframe.

Examples: This is WAY more than we need but Heifer's Honor Card program is what we are basically trying to accomplish

I greatly appreciate all your help! Thank you!

------------------------------
    Allison Costa
    What Cheer Flower Farm
    Providence, RI
    acosta@whatcheerflowerfarm.org

• 2.  RE: Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 17, 2019 11:14
    Hey Allison - there are a couple of simple ways to handle. You could do a basic form (would recommend Formstack) to show the different designs of the card. They donate, pick the design, and submit. However - that would be a manual process in terms of mailing (assuming this is a physical card vs ecard). If an e-card, a simple automation on something like Mailchimp would suffice. You could simply pull the "to" address into Mailchimp and the "from" as the donor. If a physical card and you want more automation, then maybe take a look at Autopilot. They have a postcard mailing service that is handled by a third party, so that could run completely autonomously.

Just a few ideas of good places to start!

Have a fab day!

Best,
    Kevin

• 3.  RE: Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 21, 2019 13:36
    Hi Kevin!
    Thanks so much for your response. I will look into both of these options. I know I am going to have to do a lot of manual work here, both for the data entry into Salsa CRM and the physical card sending. Thank you for giving me a place to start!

Take care,
    Allison

Allison Costa
    What Cheer Flower Farm
    Providence, RI

• 4.  RE: Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 18, 2019 12:04
    Hi Allison,

I generally try to avoid hawking our services on the NTEN boards, but we might have something that could work. The platform is actually based on Drupal Commerce and is typically used to build out symbolic gift catalogs.  Whereas it is usually used for symbolic gift giving, some clients use it for ecards in the way it looks like you want to use it. World Animal Protection client regularly uses it for Valentine's ecards, although they haven't started their campaign yet this year. You can see the ecards here and the general symbolic giving catalog homepage here.

It plugs into Stripe, iATS, and Authorize.net, but not Salsa unfortunately.

I have a feeling that it may be a bit too much infrastructure for what you need, but I'm happy to chat.

Joel Bush
    Partner
    Capellic, LLC (www.capellic.com)
    Encinitas, CA

• 5.  RE: Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 21, 2019 13:49
    Hi Joel,
    This is exactly what we are looking for. We want to eventually sell calendars and other merch so I think the conversation is about finding what eCommerce tools would work best for us. In the short term I think I am going to end up with a landing page describing the cards and just linking to a Salsa donation form...it is cumbersome and unattractive but I think it is my best option till we can really look into eCommerce solutions. Will you be at NTC by any chance?

Thanks for your help!
    ~Allison

Allison Costa
    What Cheer Flower Farm
    Providence, RI

• 6.  RE: Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 22, 2019 11:54
    Glad you have a short term solution. Also looks like Salsa has a secret solution for you too, so that's good.

I will be at NTC! My company, Capellic will has a booth. Look for the booth with the silly animal naming contest (last year it was a unicorn). Please stop by!

- Joel

Joel Bush
    Partner
    Capellic, LLC
    Encinitas, CA

• 7.  RE: Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 22, 2019 09:46
    Hi Allison,

My name is Andrew Shoaff and I'm the Director of Customer Success here at Salsa Labs.  One of our partners, Cornershop Consulting, created an eCard solution that integrates directly with Salsa Engage.  The Engage eCard data will the flow into Salsa CRM.  A large client of ours used it for their EOY holiday campaign recently.  If you'd like to learn more please feel free to contact Ira at Cornershop.

ira@cornershopcreative.com

If you have any additional questions you can always contact me: ashoaff@salsalabs.com

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Shoaff
    Director of Client Adoption
    Salsa Labs
    Austin, TX

• 8.  RE: Urgent Need: Tech to Create a Gifts in Honor Program (Honor cards)

Posted Jan 22, 2019 11:27
    Thanks Andrew.
    I assume there are rules around what Salsa Support staff are able to suggest to clients but it would've been great to know about this option when I asked Support for help on this topic.

I will look into Cornershop.

Thanks again,
    Allison

Allison Costa
    What Cheer Flower Farm
    Providence, RI