Discuss

last person joined: one year ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Recommendations for hosting a livestreamed event

• 1.  Recommendations for hosting a livestreamed event

Posted Mar 06, 2020 14:17
    Hi all,

We're looking at making one of our in-person events virtual, and I've been looking into platforms/ways to host a multi-site, multi-host event with an audience potential of up to 5,000 people. I've heard people suggest things from Microsoft Live events to Webex to even Twitch for instance, but I'd be keen to get some community feedback as to what you've used or how you've done it.

Thanks all,

Praan

------------------------------
    Praan Misir
    Project Officer
    Toronto, ON
    picture of work desk from home with notebook, glasses, coffee, keyboard

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for hosting a livestreamed event

Posted 18 days ago

Hello Praan,

I have no experience with Microsoft Live so I can't really recommend that. But I think that, ironically, Twitch could be a perfect choice! If you have a solid and powerful outlet, the device which will be used as the base for streaming the event, then even 10,000 joining to watch should be no problem. So it is definitely worth considering.

You may also take a closer look at Zoom Video which is a very good tool, however I am uncertain how it would handle 5000 people.

Good luck to you and stay safe!

--------------
    George Williams

Manager

Lolyfe Haulage
    -------------

George Williams
    analyst

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for hosting a livestreamed event

Posted 18 days ago
    Hey - I know it's late notice but we are doing a webinar at 9 am pacific today on virtual events.  It will show our software - but the event planner on it will go over how they executed one and the tools they used.  We will also post a recording if that's helpful.  This virtual event will work with any of the event auction platforms.  While none of us were built with an eye to doing this streaming - there are back end reports that the team can watch and help the auctioneer with the fund a need or appeal donations people make on their phones and the "live" auction.  Sam is really really reallly good at fundraising.  Please don't take this as a salesy thing for Greater Giving - all the platforms are trying to get info out on how to do this so you can survive and thrive in this very interesting time.

We have an  session at 9:00 AM PDT on Thursday. You can register for that webinar using this link.  And if that one fills up we are also recording and posting the recording to our website as soon as we can.

Deborah Roth-Bush
    Senior Strategic Relationship Manager
    OR