Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Asana for workflow management

• 1.  Asana for workflow management

Posted Dec 09, 2019 15:49
    I am a volunteer who has offered to develop a system to manage a grant proposal workflow process for a small (<$2mm) community nonprofit.  Has anyone used Asana Basic for such a function?  A superficial reading of their product offering would seem to indicate that it would be possible.  Before I dive in deeper, I'd like to see what others have done.

------------------------------
    NOLAN MADSON
    (pronouns: he/him/his)
    Community Volunteer
    PALM SPRINGS, CA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Asana for workflow management

Posted Dec 09, 2019 17:05
    I love Asana! I haven't used it for a grant workflow process exactly, but I've used it for many, many things in several different nonprofit settings. I find it simple to understand and to create templates, cross reference and link tasks that are related, etc. 

Angie Albright

photo
    Angie Albright
    Writer. Educator. Connector.

• 3.  RE: Asana for workflow management

Posted Dec 10, 2019 07:40
    We are currently researching solutions for managing cross Department approvals during a workflow process. This need is less about the actual task management as it is for transparency and audit trail of approvals for cross organization coordination requests.  Does Asana provide that type of functionality? If not, what is a suggested preferred platform?

Eli Hertz
    VP of IT
    Arlington VA

• 4.  RE: Asana for workflow management

Posted Dec 10, 2019 11:48
    Asana is a project management system and it's got a happy customer base, due to its intuitive user experience. That said, in the grant management scenario, it might be helpful to assess the needs of the grant management team before selecting a fit. Also, does the organization have a separate grant database of some sort where the grant information is stored? If not, then I would advise against using a project management system as a grant database (or for that matter, any database at all). If there is a grant database system in use, then that's where I would look first for possibilities regarding related workflow management.

Does the use case involve managing grant data and details, as well as extensive reporting? How often is the status on a task checked or changed? Is there an independent grant project manager or do grant officers do their own task management?

For a high-volume, large organization grant management scenario, using a project management system may be a fit but for a small or medium sized organization, a grant database system with some related workflows, may be a better option.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 5.  RE: Asana for workflow management

Posted Dec 11, 2019 08:20
    Edited by Chantal Sheehan Dec 11, 2019 11:00
    Have you checked out Hive? Ironically three different threads this week here have prompted me to answer Hive! Hive has document approval workflows built into its project management system - commenting and edits to drafts are available. https://hive.com/

We also use Citrix ShareFile for certain more in depth workflow approvals and audit trails (we are an accounting/back office service provider to nonprofits).

Good luck!

PS. We chose Hive after months and months of research and it has surpassed Slack, Asana, Trello, and others we have tried.

Chantal Sheehan
    Chief of Client Happiness
    Blue Fox
    Melbourne, FL

• 6.  RE: Asana for workflow management

Posted Dec 12, 2019 19:21
    I agree with @Medha Nanal that it really depends on some details about the department's process and what people are ​looking for a workflow management tool to do. If it's as simple as wanting a group of people to see where everything is at in a pipeline and be able to have some back and forth conversations about the proposals, Asana will work well. If it's basically a checklist with different people assigned to complete tasks/approvals in order, Asana will also work well for that too. If it's more complicated...maybe. The questions about where the documents live and where other info about grant relationships live are also very real--there may be other tools the org is already using for those purposes that could be good for this too.

Lisa Jervis
    Principal Consultant
    Oakland, CA