Discuss

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

• 1.  Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

Posted 20 days ago
    Our organization is moving to Salesforce for our case management, and we're trying to find other organizations similar in size and complexity who are using Salesforce for case management (or some non-donor function), to get a better sense of how they staff and support their system. Our organization will have about 400 people on Salesforce, and we have about 30 different programs where each program will have slightly different interfaces and functionality. Anyone have any insight?

------------------------------
    Shubha Bala
    Center for Court Innovation

• 2.  RE: Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

Posted 19 days ago
    Shubha, I would recommend you attend the monthly NYC Nonprofit Salesforce User Group, which usually meets on the 2nd Friday of each month at Nonprofit Coordinating Committee, not far from the CCI office.  You will find plenty of people to talk to there.

NHR

Norman H. Reiss

nhr@usa.net
    646-827-0635

Your Age Doesn't Matter - living an engaged life at any age

Virus-free. www.avg.com

• 3.  RE: Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

Posted 19 days ago
    Edited by Medha Nanal 19 days ago
    Hi Shubha,

While you could engage in discussions/conversations with user group members, and gain a good understanding of others' organization of these systems and staff, given the size and scale of your operations (based on your post), I am not certain if taking the solution from another organization, even with a similar size, would be a perfect fit for you. If you are open to a lot of trial and error, and value making such decisions yourself and learning along the way, the above approach is great. If you would prefer to get a solution that would work and leaves you free to focus on other important priorities, then my suggestion is to engage with an expert who offers advice on these issues.

In my work in similar scenarios involving Salesforce, I review who will be working with this system, their roles, processes and ownerships of functions, and how they connect with the rest of the case staff, and many other parameters, and provide a set of recommendations (related to staffing, duties & responsibilities etc.) and SOP's. If this sounds like something that you are looking for, feel free to reach out to me via my information below (free, no-obligation conversation).

Take care,

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 4.  RE: Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Shubha,
    How are the custom interfaces being built? Will you require a developer to update, or are you using a framework/application that an admin can make changes to in a "drag-and-drop" type of interface? How will training be structured for your end users? Based on our experience, you'll likely need at least two dedicated administrators who know the ins and outs of your system.

I agree with what Medha said above. Looking at a similar size org may provide some insight, but there are many other factors at play. We typically have a Discovery period that looks deeply at who will do what, not only in the system day-to-day, but it terms of user adoption, ongoing support, and maintenance. I'm happy to chat if you're interested. We've done a handful of case management implementations using our own framework, though our clients tend to be small/medium sized.

Lindsey Peterson
    501Partners
    Boston, MA

• 5.  RE: Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi all!

Thank you for the suggestions - and yes Norm this is definitely the best approach!  Thank you for the tip on the meetup!

I should have clarified that we are working with a vendor already to implement our Salesforce and will be working with them for specifics based on everything you discussed - the amount of custom code, the nature of requests, the amount of new apps, whether most changes will require a developer, etc.

In the meantime I also thought it would be helpful to get some broad sense of what other non-profits are doing.

For example, one idea is to hire in-house developers but on the other hand I wonder if some organizations are focusing on hiring more business analyst types who can really understand the organization, speak to end users, and define the approach needed for change requests, and then outsourcing the actual implementation?  We've also now heard of a few organizations that focus their hiring on people who can help with training, QA, and basic administration.  I definitely agree that it all depends on our circumstances, but it's still great to hear what others are doing! :)

Thanks!!

Shubha Bala
    Center for Court Innovation

• 6.  RE: Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

Posted 18 days ago
    Edited by Medha Nanal 17 days ago
    Hi Shubha,

It's great that you have an implementation partner -- because this looks like an ambitious undertaking. I wish to clarify that, many large non profit organizations work with a strategic adviser to set up strategy, processes, roles and responsibilities, and in your case, these should be developed so as to tie into Salesforce, to be able to utilize features/function of your Salesforce instance. Implementation partners typically take up from advisers and perform technical implementation, and provide training specific to using technology.

I've seen that successful technology adoption depends on both process/people based strategy as well as tech implementation.

EDIT: Regarding your question about possible approaches such as hiring own developers versus analysts, and ongoing administration: once again, there is no one solution that fits every organization. This is definitely an area where the best solution to you depends on your goals, your resources, what you see "owning" versus "outsourcing" (which again depends on your organization's culture/DNA), etc.

In short, I'd strongly advise agaist crowdsourcing this *solution*. Crowdsourcing is great to help one understand the available options and their combinations, but this alone does not offer you a solution that is a fit for you.

Hope this clarifies.

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 7.  RE: Salesforce for case management - how to staff?

Posted 18 days ago
    Edited by Dar Veverka 18 days ago
    Hi Shubha -

+1 on Norman's advice to take advantage of the nearest local Salesforce Nonprofit User Group. Also take advantage of the Power of Us Hub as it is very active and a good resource.

We do use Salesforce for primarily non-donor functions and about 50% of our staff use it. Brief rundown of how we have staffed SF over the years in case it's helpful for your situation:

We originally migrated to SF a few years ago for recruitment, admissions,  selection, & participant tracking and didn't bring donor functions on board in SF until 2018. When we first started with SF, my org used almost entirely consultants for it as we had no in-house expertise and no budget to hire a full time SF admin to build things in it. We've gradually switched over to having multiple in-house certified admins with one full-time fairly advanced admin doing most of the backend work. When the dollars for consultants became more than we'd pay for in-house staff, we hired a dedicated admin. We have a certified SF admin on the admissions/selection side of the house and it helps immensely to have someone who both understands the business processes and Salesforce administration. She can easily translate the reqs from one to the other. She does a ton of reporting & dashboards, lead conversion for prospective participants, campaign setups, training, etc. We do still use consultants for Visualforce & Apex programming and some complex flows, particularly ones tied into the external-facing Visualforce application. We just don't have in-house expertise on those items. We maintain contracts with our main consultants that are buckets of X hours that we use as we need, renew as we need. We usually purchase in 20 hour increments. A lot of the nonprofit Salesforce consultant shops will offer ongoing maintenance or coding contracts along those lines after your initial work with them. We also occasionally seek out a consultant for a particular SF product such as Pardot or Community Cloud if we've hit a wall with our in-house knowledge and capacity to work on it.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD