Discuss

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Salesforce and CMS integration

• 1.  Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 10 days ago

Hi All,

We're working on a Salesforce implementation here at YMCA of Greater New York, and as we embark on thinking about integrating Salesforce with our website CMS (Drupal), I'm wondering how other organizations integrate the two, and what use cases you all have encountered in your implementations.

My rudimentary understanding is that there are 2 primary options which we could employ on a variety of use cases:

1. Integration lives on Drupal side, with Salesforce push and pulls coming through the Salesforce API
    2. "Integration" lives on Force.com side (Salesforce server), basically the functionality lives on force.com with just a link from Drupal.

I'd love to hear more about how your organization handled the Salesforce/CMS integration.

Thank you!

Ruiyan Xu

Director, Digital Strategy

YMCA of Greater New York

rxu@ymcanyc.org

• 2.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 9 days ago
    I'm running a tiny nonprofit program that's just starting. We were thinking about using Salesforce just for it's database, ability to pull reports etc. There will eventually be 6-7 staff across the state that need the ability to input contacts, & client notes & then we need to pull monthly reports. Any idea if Salesforce will be useful?

• 3.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 9 days ago
    Edited by Medha Nanal 9 days ago
    Hi Christina,

In general, a CRM/Database system will be useful to you in getting this data organized and for reporting. Salesforce certainly has this feature set. However, for really small organizations, the learning curve with Salesforce can be steep, and if your sole intent is to just get organized better, and draw routine fundraising reports, then Salesforce might be somewhat an overkill for you.

That said, I have worked with small organizations, who use Salesforce with success. In my view, the organization staff in these cases had a strong technology background, or had used Salesforce in their previous organizations, or the organizations had a strong technology DNA (i.e. the motivation to learn new systems was quite high among the staff or top brass).

Several other systems that can be helpful in managing data for small startup organizations are available. Some are Little Green Light, or Airtable -- which is (supposedly) a system for those who desire a feature set that's wider than just Google Sheets, but not a full fledged CRM.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------
    Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 4.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 8 days ago
    Can you expand on how you want to use Salesforce? It almost sounds like maybe you are looking to SF as a case management system? In general, SF is an excellent CRM for tracking a well-defined sales process. If your use case maps closely onto that, you may be able to leverage the system effectively. Otherwise, SF is inherently quite flexible, but costs and know-how required to configure it for different use-cases can be quite high.

If you are looking at case management, something like TheraNest or Apricot Essentials might be a good fit for a small org.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com

• 5.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 9 days ago
    The Salesforce Suite is a widely used solution for integrating Drupal and Salesforce; related case study here and here. In this case the integration is entirely-driven by Drupal with Salesforce being a passive entity. Your needs might dictate a different approach and with Salesforce Communities getting more traction I suspect the landscape (and norms) will be evolving.

Brian Pickett
    Founder and CEO
    North Peak
    www.NorthPeak.com

• 6.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 7 days ago
    Thank you all. Very helpful to learn more about the Salesforce Suite for Drupal and how you've handled the integration.

Brian -- the case studies were great. My initial thought about our integration is along similar lines: mostly driven by Drupal, pushing to and pulling from Salesforce. The main advantage of this is to be able to create and control a seamless, good user experience, You mentioned that the landscape is changing and Salesforce communities may get more traction. What would be the advantages of having the integration "live" more on the Salesforce communities side?

Thanks.

Ruiyan Xu
    YMCA of Greater New York
    Brooklyn, NY

• 7.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 6 days ago
    Ruiyan,

If you need any assistance thinking through ways of integrating Drupal and Salesforce and how the Salesforce Suite works, our firm, Message Agency, is the agency that wrote these modules, and our senior software engineer, Aaron Bauman, is the lead maintainer.  Feel free to reach out with any questions; we're always happy to give advice!

To help nonprofits think through how they might leverage this tool, we have pulled together several resources in a Salesforce Suite Toolkit, including case studies, a white paper, blog posts, and recorded webinars.

I hope you find it helpful!

Marcus Iannozzi
    Founder and Principal
    Message Agency
    Philadelphia, PA

• 8.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 6 days ago

I'm no 'futurist' but with Salesforce communities in the mix some of the burden that used to be placed on Drupal could be handled (better?) direct on the Salesforce platform (discussion boards, resource sharing, etc). With Salesforce handling more, I suspect you will see more situations where it makes sense to reference Salesforce directly rather than keeping database tables in sync across two platforms, especially if single sign-on is in place between Drupal and Saleforce communities.  

Brian Pickett
    Founder and CEO
    North Peak
    www.NorthPeak.com

• 9.  RE: Salesforce and CMS integration

Posted 7 days ago
    This plugin lets you set up an integration to connect Salesforce and WordPress websites for displaying records on pages.

For Drupal however, the Salesforce Suite looks to be the way to go as Brian suggested. Also, if you opt for force.com option your developer would have to create visualforce pages (pull) and embed them in Drupal using iframes. You could do the same for forms (push) as well. If you're using the Volunteers for Salesforce app you might have seen the same in their Volunteer sign up forms.

Connect and Display Salesforce Data on WordPress Sites - Sawfish Integration Plugin
    Sawfish Plugin remove preview
    Connect and Display Salesforce Data on WordPress Sites - Sawfish Integration Plugin
    Unlimited User Logins If you'd like to restrict access, you can combine the free User Management functions in WordPress to build powerful membership pages. When users login to your WordPress site, they only see their records. Yes, you can create as many users as you like!
    View this on Sawfish Plugin >

Allen Tom
    Independent Developer
    Salesforce for Non-Profits