Discuss

last person joined: 9 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Email tools?

• 1.  Email tools?

Posted Nov 16, 2017 12:42
    Hi everyone! I'm not sure where to post this question, but I'll try it here first.

Does anyone have advice about which email tools integrate well with Salesforce? What has worked for you?

We use Salesforce Enterprise Edition (we don't fundraise or operate any direct client services, so many of the NPSP features don't make sense for us to have). We've been using ExactTarget for maybe 10 years, and Salesforce bought that a few years ago and it has morphed to become Marketing Cloud. We have an old instance of Marketing Cloud that is starting to cause more problems lately. We also have an old ExactTarget connector between Salesforce and Marketing Cloud, but it looks like we're in a spot where we need to upgrade soonish in order to avoid errors. We've been cobbling things together lately and it's time to re-evaluate our tools.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to look at something like Constant Contact, MailChimp, or others because we don't do anything super sophisticated. It is nice to be able to send the message using Salesforce reports so we don't need to manually update our lists - do other integrations even let you do that? It would also be nice if we could see email results in Salesforce without having to do a ton of lifting. Does this just sound like wishful thinking? :)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-Stacy

------------------------------
    Stacy Clinton
    Digital Communications Manager
    Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health
    Palo Alto, CA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 16, 2017 14:34
    Hi @Stacy Clinton,
    I certainly don't think it's wishful thinking to have an email marketing tool that integrates with Salesforce. You should be able to find something that fits your needs.
    Our association houses member data in Salesforce, and we recently switched from Exact Target to Informz. I haven't had to use it much since we made the switch, but it seems to be pretty user-friendly, and it plays nicely with Salesforce. I do know their customer service is pretty great compared to when we used Exact Target.

Kara Potter
    Missouri State Teachers Association
    Columbia, MO
    Community Organizer, NTEN Digital Communications Group

• 3.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 16:57

Hi Kara,

Would love to hear what you mean when you say Informz works nicely with Salesforce. I'm looking for a solution for a client who is currently using MailChimp, and the integration with SF is not ideal. We are looking at MarketingCloud (the new iteration of ExactTarget) and Pardot, but Informz would be great if data can be synced in both directions with SF.

TIA!

Dori

--

Dori Kelner, MS | Managing Partner

Sleight-of-Hand Studios LLC

dmkelner@sohstudios.com | 703.758.7178 | http://www.sohstudios.com

Get Relevant. Be relevant. Stay relevant.

strategy - design - web - photography

• 4.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 11:24
    Hi Stacey,

I've got a comparison spreadsheet with a whole list of email clients that work with Salesforce. Constant Contact is not a good choice, but many of my nonprofit clients use Vertical Response, as it offers 10,000 emails a month free. Email me privately and I'll send you that spreadsheet. trish at worldstouch dot org.

Trish Perkins, Certified Salesforce Administrator, Salesforce MVP
    Worldstouch
    High Point, NC
    worldstouch@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 13:27
    Definitely what @Patricia Perkins said about Constant Contact!

If you aren't already a part of the Salesforce nonprofit online community, the HUB, it is a place you want to be!  https://powerofus.force.com  There is group there specifically designed to be a Consumer Reports type of review feedback on all the various platforms.

If you are just starting out, Vertical Response is a popular choice, but you pay for what you get - it has serious limitations.

MailChimp is usually the next step up, and has a fairly decent integration (don't use the one from within the MailChimp account, but use the one that you have to install into Salesforce!).  A note on MailChimp - last month, they started a new policy where they scan your list the first time you send an email and remove any that are tagged as potentials for bounce/unsubscribes and make you send those emails through a reconfirmation email process.

The next step up is Pardot, a Salesforce product.  If your org has some email marketing cred or has goals of marketing automation, this is a platform you want to look at.  The price was just dropped again for nonprofits - for up to 30,000 contacts it is $4,000 a year.

TJ Warfield
    Salesforce Technical Strategist
    tj@datageekslab.com
    Data Geeks Lab
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA

• 6.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 14:18
    Thanks @TJ Warfield and @Patricia Perkins! I appreciate the suggestions. If anyone has any real world experience with this, I'd love to hear how you're making it work. Thanks!​​

Stacy Clinton
    Digital Communications Manager
    Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health
    Palo Alto, CA

• 7.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 16:37

Hi Stacy,

We work with several email marketing clients including Mail Chimp and Campaign Monitor. However, I haven't worked specifically with any Salesforce integrations with those. We have transitioned personally to using SharpSpring (Marketing Automation software) for the last several years for our CRM and email marketing. SharpSpring is a direct competitior for Pardot.

SharpSpring does have a native integration available for connecting with Salesforce (addon $100/mo) but it really becomes unneccesary since SharpSpring has a fully integrated CRM. Their integrated CRM might not have all the bells and whistles of Salesforce, but it is much more user friendly by far. We used to use Act-On integrated with Saleforce for a few years before moving everything to SharpSpring. It has been amazing to work in a single platform for everything eliminating any data or stats getting lost or contorted in sync between two different systems. A large part of what I love about SharpSpring is its ability to measure the ROI of each marketing campaign we launch. If you want to learn more about SharpSpring, you can check out our website What is Marketing Automation or contact me directly.

I know Marketing Automation might be overkill for many organizations. However, organizations using multiple systems and trying to streamline everything they do while maintaining larger contact lists with lots of data may find SharpSpring to be a perfect fit. My business partner and I are currently working on putting together a custom SharpSpring package just for nonprofits. Unfortunately, I don't have enough details on this package yet to share more information here.

However, this does lead me to another option to consider for maintaining your contacts lists between Salesforce and other platforms. Check out PieSync for an automated 2-way contact sync. https://www.piesync.com/salesforce/ They integrate specifically with Salesforce and multiple other platforms including email marketing platforms like MailChimp, Emma, or Campaign Monitor.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you have any qeustions, I'm happy to provide more details where necessary.

Thanks
    ~Matt

Matt Koeppel
    Principal
    Ocreative
    Hartland,WI
    www.ocreativedesign.com
    matt@ocreativedesign.com
    262-563-1800

• 8.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 17:23
    Following this thread closely!

I'm a big MailChimp devotee but I'm very frustrated with its many obstacles to making it work with Salesforce. One of you mentioned using the MC that we install into SF, not the "regular" MC. I've done the install but I'm not allowed to start new MC campaigns from within SF. Either I'm doing something wrong or SF and MC just don't play nicely together. I'd love for someone to set me straight about this!

I'm ready to look into Marketing Cloud as long as it's not too expensive for nonprofits.

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville, AR

• 9.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 17, 2017 18:15

Angie,

I'm not sure why you can't start a new campaign. Sorry I can't help there.

"Play nicely" is in the eye of the beholder! We are not particularly happy with the integration. We are using the MailChimp to Salesforce app. It is installed on the Salesforce account. After you pass a lead from SF to MC, changes made in SF will update the corresponding MC record when the sync is done. The issue we have with it is that it only syncs from SF to MC. So data updated in MC never syncs back to SF. The software is not designed to go in that direction. And if you delete a SF contact, it will not delete in MC.

We are looking at MarketingCloud, but it is expensive. So now I'm investigating whether Informz might be an option. That's a great product IF it will sync as desired.

Dori

--

Dori Kelner, MS | Managing Partner

Sleight-of-Hand Studios LLC

dmkelner@sohstudios.com | 703.758.7178 | http://www.sohstudios.com

Get Relevant. Be relevant. Stay relevant.

strategy - design - web - photography

image001.png@01D1D2CC.54AC89D0  image002.jpg@01D1D2CC.54AC89D0  color_SBA_screen_black_logo_with_black_signature  image004.jpg@01D1D2CC.54AC89D0

• 10.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 20, 2017 09:46
    MailChimp + Salesforce can be a good toolset but we typically recommend using Cazoomi, for the connection, not the ones offered by MC. Cazoomi is bi-directional for new contacts and unsubscribes plus it syncs Salesforce Campaigns to MailChimp groups. This allows you leverage Salesforce's reporting tool for segmentation and list-building. The cost if about $300 per year but the extra investment really smooths out the connection.

Brian Pickett
    Founder and CEO
    North Peak
    www.NorthPeak.com

• 11.  RE: Email tools?

Posted Nov 20, 2017 10:28
    My client has had great success with Informz - it's geared towards non profits, and is designed to integrate with databases. Even its marketing features are based on non profit needs.

Here's further information on Informz and Salesforce: http://www.informz.com/products/integrations/salesforce/

Regards
    Temi

Temi Adewumi
    Principal
    TAGb Digital Consulting
    Toronto, ON, Canada