Discuss

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Save Dot Org; Updates? Thoughts?

• 1.  Save Dot Org; Updates? Thoughts?

Posted Dec 20, 2019 14:20

I'm sure most of you have seen the campaign to "Save Dot Org" domains that NTEN has helped lead with a coalition of other large organizations. (For anyone looking to get up to speed on the situation and why people are concerned about the future of all .org domains, I recommend this article in The Register.)

After the webinar NTEN led with nearly every key person two weeks ago, I was surprised not to hear any discussion of it here. If anyone on the NTEN side of things has any useful updates to share, I'm curious. What are other folks thinking and doing on this front?

I'm a little hopeful (but still mostly pessimistic) after reading this article in The Verge this week "The internet's name regulator says it's 'uncomfortable' with the .org deal". According to the article: "PIR is required to get prior approval from ICANN 'before any transaction that would result in a change of control of the registry operator,' which the Ethos deal would certainly do."

So if you haven't signed the petition already, I encourage you to! It's clear that we are being heard, and adding more voices will only amplify those concerns.

------------------------------
    Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Save Dot Org; Updates? Thoughts?

Posted Dec 21, 2019 01:25
    Thanks, @Mark Root-Wiley, for posting here!

There have been a number of articles, radio segments, and other media related to the proposed sale and the campaign to stop it. I continue to speak to reporters regularly and appreciate outlets in our sector like Nonprofit Times and Nonprofit Radio who have seen and elevated the topic through their platforms.

Right now, the most important ask is still to have organizations and/or individuals sign on at SaveDotOrg.org - proving that these numbers continue to increase (especially when Ethos Capital and PIR are trying to diminish them) helps counter the talking points that the only folks opposed to the sale are niche/insiders/etc. If you have an organization (regardless of location or mission!) that can sign on, please do! If you aren't at an organization that is able to for whatever reason, please sign on as an individual.

ICANN has requested more information from PIR about the proposed sale as it relates to the continuance of operation for the .Org contract. PIR has not yet responded to the request but once ICANN has responses they have 30 days to approve or withhold the sale. We have posted this update on the SaveDotOrg campaign website and will continue to share relevant news there.

I will be sure to more regularly post in the discussions here about the campaign, the proposed sale, and actions folks can take.

You can also email or call me directly any time to talk in more detail.
    Thank you for your support!
    a

Amy Sample Ward (pronouns: she/her)
    CEO
    Portland, OR
    amy@nten.org
    nten.org @NTENorg

• 3.  RE: Save Dot Org; Updates? Thoughts?

Posted Dec 21, 2019 15:46
    Thank you for this excellent update, @Amy Sample Ward! I know I speak for many when I say I appreciate the leadership you and NTEN have shown on this issue.

Now let's get to signing that petition, folks!

Mark Root-Wiley

MRW Web Design / MRWweb.com / @MRWweb
    Thoughtful WordPress Website for Nonprofits & Mission-Driven Organizations
    Seattle, WA