Discuss

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Ask a question. Give advice. Share resources. Looking for software or hardware recommendations? Want to know how others are using text messaging in their work? Trying to find examples of IT policies? The NTEN Discuss forum is a great resource for all of the above and more! It's the general discussion list for the NTEN community, and folks all over the US (and the world) are sharing their questions, answers, and news about nonprofit technology.

Salesforce org transition

• 1.  Salesforce org transition

Posted Oct 16, 2019 10:09
    My org is transfer our salesforce org from a third party to inhouse. I am the sole admin serving as the configuration analyst. What is the best way for me to get a clear understanding of what the consultant has done and how to tie that into what I will be taking over. What are some excellent succinct questions to ask. What is most important for me to learn from the third party currently managing our instance?

------------------------------
    Negel Bentick
    Configuration Analyst
    PA
    2020 Nonprofit Technology Conference Logo  w/ Baltimore Skyline

• 2.  RE: Salesforce org transition

Posted Oct 17, 2019 07:48
    I would start with asking about customization.

-Are there custom objects or Visualforce components that they have created?
    -What are the installed packages and what are they for?
    -What is it connected to? Other sites and services like websites, zapier etc.?

Most of Salesforce is supported by the company itself and had lots of docs and help resources.

Good luck!

Mary

Mary Gaughan
    Boston, MA

• 3.  RE: Salesforce org transition

Posted Oct 17, 2019 13:05
    +1 to Mary's reply.

• Go over workflow rules, process builder & flows - what is triggered when and what does it do.
    • Have they filled out description fields on objects, fields, processes, etc so you are not guessing what the intent of something is? Make them provide a data dictionary.
    • If you run SF optimizer, are there a lot of dead/unused items turning up that the consultant needs to clean up before exiting so you don't have to do that on your own and try to guess if they are useful?
    • Who has sysadmin profile and why?
    • Are there accounts running any installed packages or connectors that you need to know about? Is their account(s) tied to any of those? 
    • Are there installed packages that are no longer in use? Have them uninstall them and clean it up before exiting.

Dar Veverka
    Director of Information Technology
    Urban Teachers
    Baltimore, MD

• 4.  RE: Salesforce org transition

Posted Oct 17, 2019 13:41
    Edited by Medha Nanal Oct 17, 2019 13:43
    Hi Negel,

Congratulations on taking over the CRM! As a consultant, I am often on the other side of the table, and while transitioning the CRM ownership, it's always helpful if the organization is proactive about coming up with a list of knowledge transfer topics etc.

In regards with Salesforce: both Mary and Dar have provided you with quite an exhaustive list. In addition, if your organization's set up is complex and involves automation/integration etc., then a lot happens behind the scenes, and therefore it might be helpful to document some of the commonly followed processes through standard operating procedures, etc. This will ensure that the users follow data entry procedures in a specific order, and therefore the appropriate records will be updated or created through automation or integration, as expected.

Also, the overall layout of user profiles in Salesforce is important. Ideally, depending on the individual user's roles and responsibilities, their access to Salesforce data should be limited to what they need to see/update. This is especially important if multiple teams within the organization (e.g. programs, events, fundraising) share Salesforce CRM. During CRM assessments, I often see almost everyone being given an administrative access into Salesforce, and that typically signals a deeper problem. If your consultant has set up roles and profiles, then you may want to get a bit of overview about that. That will go a long way towards maintaining the sanity in your system.

Last (but not the least), a documentation of what each automation and integration process is trying to accomplish. Without this documentation, "automation" or "integration" will remain a large black box and if you were to ever troubleshoot those, then it could be a nightmare!

EDIT: I spoke about documenting automation and integration twice, and wish to clarify that SOP's and the administrative documentation are two different animals. SOP's are always written for the end user, administrative/technical documentation is for troubleshooting by the admin. Hope this clarifies.

Hope this helps!!

Medha Nanal
    Strategic Data/Database Consultant for Nonprofits (Fundraising, Operations, Programs)
    www.topcloudconsult.com
    medhananal@topcloudconsult.com

• 5.  RE: Salesforce org transition

Posted Oct 18, 2019 11:37
    I just wanted to echo all the advice, and to amplify Dar's specific bullet point:

Make them provide a data dictionary.

If they haven't maintained one from the start, this will be a big lift, and it might make sense to work collaboratively with them in analysis sessions to build this out. In my opinion, this is the most important deliverable in a transition project like this.

Isaac Shalev
    http://www.sage70.com
    Stamford CT
    @Sage70
    isaac@sage70.com